LT Spice grids

User text seems to snap to a fairly coarse grid on the schematic. But ref designators and parts values are almost infinitely movable. So if I want to place

R1 10K

it's essentially impossible to get them at the same Y coordinate. And when I zoom or print, the 10K squirms around, sometimes a bit above R1 and sometimes a bit below. The "text anchor points" thing doesn't help.

Any ideas? I could write a program to edit the net list, and quantify all text locations, but that might not work.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I feel your pain. LTspice was never intended to be used as a full fledged schematic capture program. So it has obvious limitations. But many use it that way.

I can't answer your question, but why do you think editing the net list won't solve your problem? Have you done any testing with hand editing? You could pick one of the two, ref des or value and always set the other to match. Then it is up to the designer to take that into account when positioning the two fields on the drawing. Don't you think that would work?

--

Rick
Reply to

It might, but it's weird that the 10K text, at different zoom levels, can be above or below the R1 text. So there may be something internal going on that could be beyond my control.

The fix, I guess, is to always do

R1 10K

but that's often awkward.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about. It is kind of limited, and somewhat unpredictable.

I don't have a solution, but you might try playing with the justification -- at least that feature has been added.

You'll notice when looking at the .asc file that every locus is integer based. So nothing can be off the integer grid, as an additional constraint.

I wish I had a play editor for documentation purposes that outputted .eps files.

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie

ltspice, print to a pdf generator, open in inkscape

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts