Low noise guitar pre-amp / ADC

I was just trying to point out that 24 bits would theoretically be

24*6=144 dB. In practice the best claims in manufacturer data sheets for ADCs and DACs is about 120 dB, typically with 192 kHz sampling rate but measurement bandwidth to something like 10 Hz - 20 kHz (so there is some noise shaping :-).

As others have pointed out, the layout is critical, probably requiring a multilayer board, perhaps one or two contiguous ground plane layers etc.

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

High-end (used to be custom-only) guitars put the preamp/conversion IN the guitar. If you have a pot panel that's removable you're golden. Else it's like arthroscopic surgery.

All the previously-mentioned detractors like noise from pots, connectors, cable capacitances etc. are avoided.

Some my recording-engineer friend talked about had both magnetic pickups and microphones in the same guitar.

Low Noise would be great for classical guitar. But a LOT of the guitar noises that make money are "Down in the noise level" anyway :-)

Usually the big problem is the darn cables, hum pickup, ground loops etc, external to the guitar. My friend has installed 120VAC "Balanced to ground" power in his professional studio, which greatly reduces

60Hz pickup in lots of places. And a common-point ground/neutral connection to a 6 inch wide copper strap that runs through the floor slab and stubs up in the equipment locations. Recently this approach is even IN the Electrical Code. Previously, he was fortunate in that he was in remote Vermont, 100 miles from the nearest electrical inspector... 24 bits might be 'excessive', but "Moderation In the Pursuit Of Clean Signals is Not a Virtue". (Was that Barry Goldwater??)
Reply to
TerryKing

I use to remove all knobs from my guitars, I see no point in having TWO volume controls in series (one in the guitar, the other in the amp). I don't use amps anyway. Oh, and the "tone" knobs are also removed, I love the bare sounds of each guitar. My idea is that any sound alteration should be left to post-production, after the sound has been recorded...

As a side effect, the removed knobs leave a few holes in the guitar's body, where there is a little void, that then acts as a resonant chamber. So I have an old SANOX guitar that sounds good with AND without amplification, depending on the strings' quality. With this model, the guitar is more versatile without knobs than the original version...

yg

--
http://ygdes.com / http://yasep.org
Reply to

Oh. I'm good at that. :-) I'd put switches where the pots are to change between series and parallel wiring of the humbuckers for example.

Sounds good.

I don't have a problem until I connect my MacBook Pro to mains...

:-)

Reply to
Colin Howarth

Dear Phil,

have you noticed that your replies are becoming less and less helpful?

:-)

Unfortunately, for you, you cannot escape this thread! You are forced to type more and ruder replies, increasing your blood pressure, wasting your free time and making you look ever sillier.

I feel a little bit sorry for you, but I'm afraid your stuff is just too amusing to read, to let you escape.

--colin

Reply to
Colin Howarth

Plug your guitar into a scope and whack the hell out of the strings. You might be surprised what sort of peak voltages you can get.

Reply to
Ralph Barone