Low Cost PS for 12 Volts, 250ma for a small DC motor

Hi All,

I'm looking for a means to inexpensively implement subject PS from a

240/120 mains supply without using a switch. Yep, I know that a SMPS would do the job but can the job be done at less cost?

What I've looked at so far:

1) Capacitive Transformer. It looks like it might work except that I end up needing large 22uF high voltage caps on the front end which are expensive. Needs a switch. 2) Zener supply. Way too much power dissipated in the resistors. Needs a switch. 3) CT transformer. Looks good but needs a switch.

Any bright ideas or is SMPS the solution??

Regards,

Fred

Fred

Hi Joerg,

Thanks for the reply. There could well be a large quantity of these supplies needed.

Regards,

Fred

Fred

When you say, "without a switch", do you mean, without having to manually switch a toggle switch or slide switch?

I knew a guy once who made 120/240 battery chargers, and he used a 240V relay. At 120V line voltage, it didn't pull in, so the primaries were in parallel. At 240, the relay pulled in, and put the primaries in series. A relay _does_ do switching, but I've never heard a relay called a "switch". :-)

Other than that, probably an SMPS, sorry.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hello Fred,

SMPS is usually the answer here. Unless you are facing a gazillion units per year I would look for off-the-shelf wall wart type supplies or small power bricks that are rated for wide input voltage (90V to 260V or so).

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Why can't you just use a wall-wart, and what's this "switch" you keep referring to?

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer

Hello Fred,

Look at power supplies like these:

About $15 if you buy 100 and IIRC they even come with adapters for several countries.

There are many more companies that make such supplies. Astec etc.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

ISTR that the famous legal firm, Dolby Labs had a product that had a suitably rated light bulb in series with the transformer primary for just this function. It helps if you have a constant power requirement

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

I read in sci.electronics.design that Fred wrote (in ) about 'Low Cost PS for 12 Volts, 250ma for a small DC motor', on Wed, 7 Sep 2005:

Dolby Labs made a laboratory noise-weighting filter, with lower power consumption certainly, that did 120/240 V by putting a filament lamp in series with the primary of the mains transformer. The primary voltage stayed at about 90 V irrespective of the input voltage.

John Woodgate

--
I think you\'re right.  That completely evaded me.  Thanks. :-)
Reply to

Ah, The light bulb, probably the worlds' simplest XOR gate

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Hello John,

Guess he means the 120/240 selector. Anyway, wall wart or power brick is the way to go. Much easier during the agency approval.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

He wants a 'universal' PSU without the need to change voltage taps. See "

240/120 mains supply without using a switch ".

For all practical purposes therefore, an SMPS.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Probably about $6 or less if it comes from China.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

3 watts makes a simple switcher just about viable.

I googled "power adaptor china".

One interesting hit was this.

There's *tons* of outfits making this stuff out there.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Hello Again,

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread. I do appreciate the input. To confirm a question back a post or two, yes, we are looking for a PS that adapts to 120/240 mains input.

Regards,

Fred

Fred