Looking for Microcontroller Recommendations

That is not a PIC. That is a PIC32! A whole different beast. If you like your sanity, I wouldn't program those in assembly though (google 'MIPS one delay slot').

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

RogerN wrote: ...

Are you really going to waste 50% gas by blowing warm air (and harmful gases) out of the exhaust, torture the engine by running it cold and idle for minutes?

Why not use an auxiliary heater and control this with a micro? That would be a smart approach.

Falk

Reply to
Falk Willberg

They have the Bulldog Security remote car starter installed and working, hopefully the bugs are worked out of it. If I understand correctly, they run the starter for a couple of seconds, if the car doesn't start, it will try again so many seconds later, running the starter for maybe 3 or 4 seconds (or something like that). Also, they said it will only run the car up to 15 minutes and then shuts off unless the ignition switch is turned on. One guy took a battery operated alarm clock and wired a transistor to the alarm, I'm not sure what the others did, but something similar. With a microcontroller you could sense temperature, if it's above freezing you may not want the car to start at all.

In my position, I go to work at the same time every morning but I work over some almost every day, so starting my car based on time wouldn't work for me, starting by cell phone might though. But I don't want to have another cell phone just to set in my car to start it a few days a year. Remote starting would benefit me mostly in the morning but I'm in range to start my car from inside if I wanted to.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

On a sunny day (Sat, 16 Jan 2010 19:02:30 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote in :

Sice when is a PIC32 not a PIC, of course it is.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

50%? The car isn't "tortured" by running it at idle. OTOH, it isn't good running a car at high speed until it's warmed some. The car needs to be started anyway. It may "waste" a little gas by idling a *little* longer than normal.

With what are you going to power this "heater". Electricity (from where?) rather than waste heat?

Reply to
krw

I thought they were rolling their own starter. A commercial unit is better but still will do exactly the wrong thing occasionally. DAMHIK ...and may void any warranty.

Car starters also have to monitor RPM to detect the start. Sometimes this doesn't work out so well. Multiple start attempts will often kill a battery. A human has a better chance of doing it right than a generic auto-starter. They work great, when you don't need them.

Yes, but starting under all conditions is the real problem.

I had one of these things in my wife's car. Never again, and I only lost a battery (and had to put up with SWMBO's ire).

Reply to
krw

krw schrieb:

A rough guess. Hot exhaust gases, heat radiation...

Running an engine at low temperatures causes a lot of wear. Starting it and drive at reasonably low RPM is the best way to reach operating temperature in short time.

The amount of waste depends on what you consider a "little longer".

Not necessarily electricity. This is common practice in Scandinavia.

Auxiliary heaters can be powered with gas or diesel. Besides that there are two types. One heat the coolant, thus heating the car's inside and avoid cold starting the engine. The other type only heats the inside of the vehicle.

Both have a much better efficiency than an idling engine.

Falk

Reply to
Falk Willberg

When it's iced over, we walk out to our car, start it, and scrape ice from the windows. After it starts warming up the ice scrapes off easily. Seems like either way the car needs to warm up to get the windows clean, the only difference is if it's warming up before we get there or after we get there.

Do you have a recommended energy source to warm the car? LP?

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

RogerN schrieb:

Gas or diesel:

Falk

Reply to
Falk Willberg

Our Q45 has heated (and cooled) seats ;-) ...Jim Thompson

That would probably work. Early Hudson's had a _gasoline_ fired heater, rather than the usual hot water system. ...Jim Thompson

It's *all* waste of you aren't going anywhere.

Nonsense. The wear is at least as great by driving it at any speed as it is by letting it idle. You *should* idle at least as long as it takes to get off high-idle. Some recommend warming then engine completely.

Long enough for the engine to come up to temperature.

Anything other than waste heat is even more energy wasted.

You're going to have a gasoline fire burning to keep the engine warm?

...and you bitch about "wasting" a little gas.

Nonsense. Heat from the engine is free.

Reply to
krw

krw schrieb:

I don't know wether this is true for ancient engine designs. The manual of my car (Peugeot Diesel, 2000 model) recommends to start the engine and immediatly drive at low RPM. Even the very simple engine of my motorcycle[0] does not require any warm up.

Warming up idling obviously takes more time.

Sure, why not? But it is not a simple fire. Thos auxiliary heaters work similiar to a Coleman lamp but do not have to emit light.

Blowing hot "air" through the exhaust without need is waste. Heating with ~90% efficiency is much less waste.

Sorry, I did not know, that in the U.S. gas is free if your vehicle is not moving ;-)

Falk [0]

Falk Willberg

the

Because Microchip says so? PIC32 is Microchip's answer to the many ARM devices flooding the market these days. They simply want a piece of the action. It is a neat marketing trick to say a PIC32 is like a PIC16/18 but in reality a PIC32 is very similar to any ARM based microcontroller. Only Microchip decided to use a MIPS cpu instead of an ARM cpu. Its a good thing though that Microchip didn't try to invent yet another proprietary instruction set. Now you can use plain GCC (from sourceforgery for example) and Eclipse to get started.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

There are special heaters for this purpose. They heat the engine coolant and can also heat the interior. Ofcourse they use fuel but it is a lot better than letting the engine run idle.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

On a sunny day (Sat, 16 Jan 2010 23:46:17 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote in :

the

It is even spelled 'PIC'32

Well, I sort of like the PIC16 - PIC12 instruction set, although too many bank switching instructions make the asm bigger. It is a good instruction set, and it works. It seems the open source sdcc C compiler can output PIC16 and some PIC18 code too. I am now doing 8052 code with it. I may or may not try to target some PIC with it some day, just to see what code it generates, I use gpasm for PICs now. PIC is nice to program in my view. Small micros should be programmed in asm. But the micros get bigger all the time.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

the

too.

For 8051 and PIC you kinda need a commercial C compiler if you want to do some serious work. Keil's C compiler produces excellent code for the 8051. Hi-tech (9.6) tries to do so for PIC but gets lost every now and then. Even the command line options don't work properly.

I've used SDCC many years ago but the result wheren't impressive. It did a whole lot better than Dave Dunfield's C compiler (V3.14) though. AFAIK SDCC has improved optimisations since then so you might be in for a pleasant surprise.

Like soup should be eaten with chop-sticks? Even small micro's should have a proper instruction set that is easy to deal with by a C compiler. Like the Renesas's H8 or TI's MSP430. BTW, the new Cortex M0 and M3 devices do not need a single line of assembly to startup. Also pushing & popping registers when handling an interrupt is done entirely in hardware. Thats really neat!

I left the 8051 and similar micros long ago. Way too much hassle with bank switching, pages, different memory areas. I want to get work done not tinker with archaic architectures.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Common on luxury cars and higher level packages on many others. They don't help getting the ice off the windows, and at -30F they don't help at all.

Reply to
krw

It's true for *all* engines. Until the oil is moving it's best not to demand too much from the engine.

You probably believe you can go 10000 miles on an oil change too.

Some. Time that you aren't freezing your ass off.

I know how they work. It's still a stupid idea. Air-cooled cars have little choice but there is a *ton* of free and easy heat available from a water cooled engine. An auxiliary heater for the few cold days in the cold climates makes no sense at all.

Heating with waste heat is free. You have to count the entire life cycle of the car.

Look at the total cost of ownership. The few minutes warming a car up when it's

Reply to
krw

krw schrieb:

No, it's about 12000 miles (20000km) maybe only 9000 (15000km). And I use the cheapest oil I can get, that meets the specification. I never had an engine breakdown in 25 yrs.

As this thread is OT now, EOD for me.

Falk

Reply to
Falk Willberg