Lily Drone is dead

I predicted this one!

And Fitbit is in trouble. People are happy with their old iPhones. All sorts of tech things are losing money. We may be at the leading edge of a stupid-overfunded-idea bust.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Who the hell wants a watch that's constantly nagging you to stay fit? The only people I ever saw with one were 20-somethings who fit the "twee liberal snowflake" stereotype that's so popular on this NG really well, signaling how...fit they were or something.

IIRC Kickstarter came down really hard on "pie-in-the-sky" tech projects and has more stringent requirements before you can launch a crowd-fund for something involving electronics, to the point it seems like you essentially have to have a finish project ready to ship before you can fund it.

I'm not sure this was a case of "nobody would buy it" but a case of "Great we got the funding. So um, how are drones designed?"

Reply to
bitrex

saw htis on reddit "Fitbits are just like Tamagotchis, except the stupid little creature you have to keep alive is yourself"

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Well, where's the pet rock, or the chia pet, or Ron Popeil's pocket fisherman? Lots of fads come and go, and some smart people know how to mine it when its hot and get out before it all crashes down.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Chia pets are still alive. The first hit is a Trump pet.

It's got the orange skin tone, but the hair is wrong.... If you kept chai Donald in the dark... :^)

George h.

Reply to
George Herold

My girlfriend and I went out to dinner with some work acquaintances of hers once, one was a late 20s couple (we're in our mid-30s) who both worked in marketing. They were wearing matching FitBits.

Afterwards we agreed that sometimes the "generational gap" between ourselves and say a 25 year old doesn't seem particularly wide, and other times it definitely feels like a gulf.

Reply to
bitrex

The more you know about something the less you want to start a company making them, I guess.

"Design an autonomous selfie-taking drone for that price point? Are you nuts?! Do you have any idea how blah blah blah and would do blah blah blah, not to mention blah blah blah"

Is what I imagine a somewhat-knowledgeable person would say.

Amazingly, somehow products still seem to be built

Reply to
bitrex

" It turns out developing a brand new drone and bringing it to market is not a cheap, simple, or easy task."- Idiots

Wonder when it will catch up with Musk and his mismanaged crap...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

They couldn't figure out which leg of the stool they wanted the shortest, so got no stool. :[

Reply to
bitrex

I cheated. If I predict that every single tech startup will go bust, I'll be right about 95% of the time.

OK, I predict that too. The Tesla nay be like the PT Cruiser: eventually, everybody that wanted one, had one.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

It wants me to subscribe. Screw that.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

Not new news, the story broke on Jan 12th:

John

Reply to
John Robertson

Sorry. That didn't happen to me.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

If they ran out of money, and can't build drones, I wonder how they will pay everyone back.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I do and it works quite well.

Reply to
krw

Perfect!

Reply to
krw

25YO? Generational? You really do live in a bubble.
Reply to
krw

Oh, good grief!

krw

If I wanted to have my activities shamed by soulless machines what do I need to buy a watch for? I can always just stop by this NG...

Yeeeeeoooooooooooooow

Reply to
bitrex

More like everyone that couldn't afford anything better inherited one with minor body damage and 87,000 miles on the clock from Mom.

Yeeeeeeoooooooooow

What's the difference between the PT Cruiser and the Tesla?

Nothing - profit is the only thing that's "retro."

Yeeeeeeoooooooooow

Reply to
bitrex