Like Quicksand

I can't tell you for certain what they will have done but it is along the lines of power saving tricks to only use graphics acceleration when it is actually necessary to extend laptop battery life. The end result is that the stock hardware driver from the graphics chip maker almost invariably will not work correctly on a bespoke laptop graphics implementation. How it manifests is either BSOD or refusing to load.

But don't take my word for it - here is the relevant Intel page:

The HD graphics 4600 should be a lot more capable than that. What CPU and clock speed are you running?

Try running GPU-Z and/or a couple of proper graphics benchmarks and see what they reveal? GeekBench and PassMarks performance test for instance.

It may be that you need to disable the non-functioning NVidia graphics card in the bios to allow the Intel driver to run flat out or something.

Lenovo portables are the old IBM brand cheapened down and plasticised. Not the greatest but reasonably competent.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

That page doesn't say exactly what you said. It does indicate that the laptop vendor may make customized versions of the drivers, but it doesn''t say anything about using a non-customized driver causing problems. But I will take your word for it, but that doesn't get me any closer to having a driver.

I don't know what to tell you. I just know what I have and how it is working.

Again, I can only relate my experience. This machine has had any number of problem, many of them would have made a sane person throw the machine in the trash and buy a new one. I tend to be a bit compulsive about things like this but I'm nearing the end of my rope. Some of the problems are things that seem to be a universal trend like the no-button touchpad and the crappy keyboard. If I could find a better laptop that I knew fixed all the ills of this piece of crap I would buy it. One nice thing about Costco is that you can return laptops. I may well be buying a new one soon.

--

Rick C
Reply to

And surprisingly good if you only want 2D and don't care about gaming. (at least it should be if the driver is working properly)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I'm not trolling, but I'm pretty sure you are.

Reply to
tabbypurr

This is getting seriously tedious. At least the crashing seems to have been cured. I had found drivers at NVIDIA which do not work and the system shuts them down. So I plugged around on the backup disk and found the original NVIDIA drivers. So I install them and it errors saying it won't replace a newer or the same revision copy of "PhysX System Software". So I delete that using the Programs and Features tool along with the NVIDIA driver which seems to keep installing itself even though I remove it and even delete it. I'm not talking about an old copy, this is the nearly brand new copy I downloaded a while back.

Anyway, after deleting the NVIDIA driver and the "PhysX System Software" which was too new to be installed over, I tried reinstalling. Now it says it can't do the installation because there is *NO* "PhysX System Software" present!!!

--

Rick C
Reply to