Li-ion charging

Sorry, wasn't clear enough. The PNP just switches the battery onto the LED when there is a power outage. As to current limiting, I was just thinking of an external board introduced between the battery and LED. Consisting of an NPN, 2 diodes and 2 resistors. I tried this out and it worked quite well. However, a mirror image circuit with A PNP should work just as well. In this case it should be possible to employ the 'switching' PNP to limit current flowing to the LED with the addition of 2 resistors and 2 diodes/1 zener.

So, output from charger is ~125mA through a 'charging' diode to +ve of battery (prevents reverse current flow when power outage occurs).

+ve of battery to emitter of PNP and collector to LED. Cathode of LED to ground. PNP base is connected to other side of 'charging' diode.

Modification to this existing arrangement is a resistor (1R5) between PNPemitter and +ve battery. Two diodes in series between +ve battery and PNPbase. These create a set voltage when conducting. Probably better to use a zener (2V4). A resistor (1k) from the other side of the 'charging'diode to PNPbase.

Varying the value of the 1R5 resistor effects the level of current to the LED.

Steve B

My pressure cooker has a regulating valve, an over-pressure release, and the main gasket is designed to buckle and release over-pressure too.

That's one regulator and two redundant safeties to hold in some hot water and a little steam, and isn't strapped to my ceiling.

By contrast, one 18650 LiIon cell holds about 29 kJ, burns incandescent, and is near impossible to put out.

If the OP's charger applied 4.2v max, AND the cell had an over-voltage disconnect @ 4.25v, THEN it's got a safety.

And why not? It's only a chip.

YMMV.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

On a sunny day (Fri, 6 Jun 2014 16:14:55 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

OK you are the expert, I have no pressure cooker ;-)

That reminds me of long long time ago, I was renting a little bedsit room in a house with many other people. One day I heard a big BOOM. Went downstairs (common kitchen), and the gas powered hot water heater had exploded and went right up into the sealing leaving a bit hole. Nobody to be seen. I turned of the gas, the water, what happened was that the pipes got frozen (was winter), and steam started building up, and finally it launched, stretching the copper heating pipes with it as it went up, like a big spiral of copper.. Went looking for the owner of the house (lived nearby). Had some dark thoughts how he would react to the hole in the roof... He said: "Oh, yes, those people were already here".

Made me wonder, they just ran, had I not been there to turn of the gas what would have happened? In that same house we also had a near exploding gas tank. So 'cannot be put out', just ^%!@%&!@%# take a big pair of pliers (the one I used to crack nuts lately) and pick it up and dump it outside [1].

So what you are saying basically is: "My circuit, external to the battery used with a battery without safety, is BETTER than the circuit in the battery used without my circuit, " I prefer the battery with the safety build in, could be same chip, but circuit designed by people who KNOW about batteries, millions sold, no problems.

[1] Not only are people getting fatter, it looks like they are getting dumber too. too many regulations, people cannot even tie their own shoelaces anymore, need a certified person for that, This reminds me of that movie where this guy is about to shoot the hero, the here (well for what it is worth), kneeled down and asked for forgiveness, secretly tying up the bad guys shoelaces, and then jumped and ran. Bad guy wants to go after him, but falls as his shoes are tied together, Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning, its is a free movie.

Indeed!

LOL

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

No. I'm saying the external circuit shouldn't routinely apply lethal voltages to the Chinese protection circuit. That's unsafe. In that situation, the battery's protection circuit isn't a safety, it's mission-critical. A safety circuit is a *redundant* feature that saves your bacon when OTHER things go wrong.

IOW, you need BOTH.

It's not a big deal--it's not like it's hard to limit the charging voltage to 4.25v max., and have the battery's redundant safety ckt to save your house if the main supply ever goes wrong.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

On a sunny day (Tue, 10 Jun 2014 07:48:32 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

What you got against China huh? ;-)

Depends, is it a 'protection circuit', or a build in 'charge controller'.

There are a zillion applications out there that only use the external controller, so only ONE. I trust an internal controller to the battery more than some external circuit designed by some unknown entity.

And I actually carry my GPS radiation logger in my pocket.. Did a survey of the NW part of this country, 8 cities, its safe (radiation wise).

Just a bit of Tjernobyl remnants,,, I'd guess.

If you really are that Pa Ranoid about lipos bursting into fire, try lifepo4.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I don't think not applying 4.9v while strapped to the ceiling is paranoid. Carrying a 'fradiation logger, *that's* paranoid ;-)

I don't mind charging my own cells with all sorts of contraptions, but not nailed to my ceiling, not 4.9v, and most importantly, I wouldn't design a product that way.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

On a sunny day (Wed, 11 Jun 2014 17:38:26 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

What ceiling, whats your ceiling got to do with it?

Depends on where you are, I have worked in a pace where we needed to carry one. And with your Kenyan president playing world politics you should really be training to carry one too.

Yes but you are not Chinese, bit yellow as far as batteries goes maybe.

He told me, ' ... dropped the pliers in the nuke when servicing it, never understood why it did not go off ... '.

Best before ...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

OP: "I'm looking at a chinese import emergency light system"

I'm assuming it's not screwed to the floor...

No need. If we get zapped, my part of the country will be vitrifried[sic]. (Hey, maybe our atoms will meet somewhere!)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

On a sunny day (Thu, 12 Jun 2014 05:57:03 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

Have you ever seen Dr Strangelove (movie)? In the end the song plays: 'we will meet again..' Its a d*mn good movie, one I keep.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje