LED overvoltage life expectancy ques.

If an led lamp is rated at 6 vac, and it's put in a circuit that duty cycles regular incandescants - it has a peak of 18 vac but the result of the cycling is the regular bulbs light as bright as if they were on pure 6 vac - question, roughly what percentage of life would be expected to be lost on that led over time? I mean, cut it in half, or more, or (?) Same question for a led rated at 12 volts too... thanks! Frenchy

Reply to
frenchy

Amazing..It's english and I didn't understand anything in the first pass. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Light Emitting Diodes aren't rated for AC at all, being diodes.

If you're talking about a lamp designed as a direct replacement for an incandescent lamp except it has LEDs instead of a filament, it has other circuitry within that will strongly influence the answers to your questions.

More data, better answers.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

Yes these are direct plug in replacements for 44 and 555 bulbs. So they have built in resistors or whatever else is necessary in them. They are specified for 6 vac and I put them in a pinball that runs

44s, but later found out the pinball doesn't run pure 6 vac to the bulbs, it duty cycles them with a peak of 18v. For a 44 the result is it still looks the same in brightness as pure 6 v, but sounds like the led is being overdriven in this cycling. So have gotten various answers from pinball folks that this will reduce the life of these leds. Thanks!
Reply to
frenchy

that depends on the lamp.

same answer.