LED currents?

I was just soldering a LED in a PIC circuit so I can test some software I am writing. Now I want low brightness, so I derated, 680 Ohm in series, 5V,

3 V LED drop, green LED. I bought some of the brightest greens ones some time ago... Switched it on, had to close my eyes: 2.9 mA WAY to bright!!!

So what do you guys use for LED current these days for a normal non blinding clear transparent green LED (say on indicator)? < 1mA?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

how about PWM it?

--
"I\'d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

"Daily Thought:

  SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT
  THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
Reply to
Jamie

Use a wide-viewing-angle diffused-lens LED, for an overall pleasant useful appearance.

Reply to
Winfield

Yeah LEDs are very efficient these days, almost blinded myself with a stupid SMT red LED on one of my projects. It was just supposed to be a power LED, not an optical warfare component...

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

For "blinky light" indicators, I use 1k per volt Vcc. So, 3.3k for

3.3v, 4.7k for 5v, 12k for 12v, etc.

That's less than 1mA current (due to the Vf drop), but it's enough to easily tell that the LED is on without casting that warm glow throughout the room.

Example: for the average green LED (2.0V Vf) at 3.3v: (3.3 - 2.0) =

1.3v across the resistor, 1.3v / 3300R = 0.4mA 5v -> 0.6mA

There is quite a range of "lumens" for LEDs, I like to buy the brighter ones because I can drive them directly from GPIO ports without the extra transistor.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

If the green LED is one of those InGaAlP ones, half a milliamp is probably about right for "normal LED indicator lamp" brightness. At that current, voltage drop is about 2.9 volts, so the dropping resistor would be about 3.9K or 4.7K or so.

I have had some better ones work just fine at .3 milliamp.

InGaAlP green LEDs tend to have nominal wavelengths around 520-530 nm. Their color varies a little with current, and at half a milliamp expect a pretty lime green or greenish lime green color.

Don Klipstein

Does anyone know what those super-bright LEDs in the Harborfreight head lamp can stomach over the long haul? There is no part number on them.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Gosh, I don't think I've *ever* seen an LED (singles, not a special type) with a part number on it.

And those that do have numbers are hard (impossible?) to find references to, last I tried.

Tim

Tim Williams

Just test it. But I would wonder if they last longer than 100 hours.

- Henry

--
www.ehydra.dyndns.info
Reply to

Most "regular size" white LEDs are characterized at 20 mA, and I hear a few life figures of 6,000 and 10,000 hours, though sometimes 50,000 hours for some.

I have seen some with a halflife appearing to me about 4,000 hours at 30 mA.

If you don't mind faster aging, my experience is that most don't mind 40 mA too much and you have a fair chance of getting away with 50, especially with some heatsinking on the negative leads (such as large copper areas in a circuit board).

Keep in mind that the usual white LEDs are nonlinear, with maximum efficiency when moderately underpowered (maybe 5 mA or so for "regular size" / "low power" ones).

Don Klipstein

On a sunny day (Wed, 26 Dec 2007 14:57:15 -0800 (PST)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@netzero.com wrote in :

LOL

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 26 Dec 2007 17:51:23 -0500) it happened Jamie wrote in :

Yes that would work, but I need timers for other things too... And that would add a user control. Not a bad idea... maybe add a photo cell and measure room light.... But it defeats simplicity :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 26 Dec 2007 14:52:18 -0800 (PST)) it happened Winfield wrote in :

Thank you Winfield, I will have a go at some catalogs.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (26 Dec 2007 18:23:26 -0500) it happened DJ Delorie wrote in :

Yes, looks like I will have to go to lower currents too.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 26 Dec 2007 23:39:59 +0000 (UTC)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote in :

Thank you Don, that confirms also what DJ Delory suggests I use. Yes I think these LEDs are those InGaAlP, they are a different green then some older ones I have, I will play with the current a bit to see if the color changes.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Well, that's why I was asking since they might drive them a bit past their usual limits :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks, Don, that's good information. So I'll keep them to 20mA then.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

In the long run they will ALL go dead.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Why is that? Sloppy processes or something like that?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

As a kid we could only buy cheap non-diffused LEDs. So I roughed them up a bit with a sand paper sponge. Others dipped them into household chemicals to etch them but that was too dicey for me. Of course you guys also have a much better diffusor for the receiving end: Beerenburger ;-)