"Leap Motion": high res 3D motion detection

10 finger motion detection to 1/100mm (!), at 290 fps, in 8 cu ft of space. $70. WOW!
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Bob,

Neat!

The video here reminds me of a theremin.

That's $70 end-user price, which makes me wonder what the "innards" ( "line laser" plus linear photodiode array? ) would cost if integrated into another product.

I also wonder what effect the technology behind this will have on the touch-screen panel market. Even the full retail $70 sounds like less than the cost for adding resistive or capacitive touch-screen support to, say, an LCD panel.

Frank McKenney

--
  "But America is a great, unwieldy Body.  Its Progress must be
   slow.  It is like a large Fleet sailing under Convoy.  The

Could be a big hit once they start delivering in volume...

Reply to
TTman

On a sunny day (Wed, 6 Feb 2013 17:12:44 -0000) it happened "TTman" wrote in :

If it comes with a Linux driver I would buy one :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Pretty nice item... Thanks.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

I'll bet you could easily write a "Theramin App" for that.

And considering the resolution, it would be quite precise.

I have "pad" apps for my iPad from Moog and Akai and other big names.

Really nice synth apps. The "pads' are similar in operation to the theramin, only 2-D.

Reply to
AnimalMagic

At the bottom of the page:

  • The Leap Motion controller works with Leap-enabled software only. Functionality may vary depending on software.

How useful it becomes depends on how widely accepted it is, though.

Reply to
JW

Its just another Kinect but optimised to recognize fingers. IOW it is a simple infrared webcam. The heavy lifting is probably done by the host CPU.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

A single webcam would not give you range. Probably 2 webcams?

Reply to
Andy Bartlett

I wonder if the monitor's light is a requirement for it to operate.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Not so much to add touch screen, maybe us$ 0.40 at assembly time. Maybe us$ 10 at retail.

Volume baby, volume, > 1E7/year.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

The case appears to be a hard IR-bandpass filter, making that unlikely.

There are some really interesting ideas here about lensless optics:

which lead to addt'l interesting topics. Point being that a lens sums/ redirects many source rays onto one point on the imaging array. That destroys position information. If you don't do that, you can compute position from the image, re-focus after the fact, etc. Neat stuff.

--
Cheers,
James Arthur

Joseph,

Thanks for the update. I hadn't realized that the extra cost for "touch" had fallen so low.

Frank

--
  Is it not fair to ask the technologist, not only to provide arte-
  facts which work, but also to provide beauty, even in the common

Maybe

It may not actually be that low, but the volume is at least that high. Every bloody smart phone and tablet; and a bit more.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk