Lantronix destroys civilization

of

lights, roller

all of

that,

some sort.

devious,

Not to mention, gosh, how way late in the game is this minor improvement.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

roller

all of

sort.

Damn straight. I was turning off autorun way back in he Win98 days.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

roller

all of

that,

some sort.

devious,

lazy to

I hope that you gave that client a proper expression of their failed policies and protection. I would certainly let anyone that i worked with know in unmistakable terms, politeness for one round only on something like this.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

roller

all of

that,

some sort.

devious,

lazy to

I am going to go a bit off base here and make a prediction.

As BIOS's get bigger and bigger they will start to boot user OSs into a VM as part of secure boot. 4MB BIOS is already enough and VMware may have guessed this with their move to make base versions of their bare metal VM executable to free. Guess what the support is going to be, the mainstream chips from the biggest vendors. Extensions like nVidia's CUDA or ATI/AMD late entry will be supported and others can write their own. A new shake out is coming.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

money making opportunity:

Ordinary people buy computers and wifi hubs and webcams. They don't know anything about technology, much less network security. Manufacturers, especially Microsoft, should make security simple by default. They ususlly make hazards the default. Apple does better; an iPad is the logical choice for non-tekkies, not a PC.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

money making opportunity:

especially

the

It isn't quite that bad. Modern wifi hubs these days do have WPA2 encryption enabled and sensible high entropy random admin passwords (not blank or admin any more). Too many broadcast their model number as SSID for my liking since that advertises their weaknesses as well.

Mobile phones often have PINs 0000 or 1234 though so you can't win! (and that is after some very high profile phone hacking scandals)

I expect webcams are designed to work easily on a plug and pray basis and as such are hopelessly insecure with feeble well known passwords.

Android tablets are probably a fair bit cheaper and equally usable. I got a toy one recently as an oversize Skype smartphone for my parents. Frankly I was astonished at just how good it was for the tiny price!

I think the days of the home PC are coming to an end - and that the march of the tablets is pretty much unstoppable now but then I am not sure quite what the CEO of Blackberry has been smoking recently:

I think it far more likely that RIM will be gone and tablets remain.

I have been wrong on these futurology things before. I expected the NEC

7220 GPU that was years ahead of its time to conquer the world and instead we got stiffed with that grotty IBM VGA bodge :(
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

"Predictions are tough, especially about the future." --Yogi Berra

Reply to
dagmargoodboat