Knuckle Buster Replacement

Would that be the rear wheel spindle nut on an old VW beetle? That sure brings back memories. I recall that they used 200+ lbs of torque... way more than I weighed! I used a 6' length of heavy pipe over a big monkey wrench and stomped on it until it finally came loose.

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v7.10 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter Frequency Counter, Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI FREE Signal Generator, DaqMusic generator Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

I have one of those. Better than sliced bread... Used to be the "Whitney-Jensen" later the "Whitney-Roper" punch. Mine is circa 1965 when I got it... Invaluable tool IMO for making distortion free holes in thin stock (ever try to use a hand drill to make holes in a tin can?)

The original came out with a bench mount attachment so you could spare your knuckles, but it was inconvenient and didn't sell all that well. You might try making one - the downside is that it makes changing punches and dies a hassle, ditto clearing out the slugs.

I find it just as easy to clamp the metal to be punched between the die and punch then move it over to a low workbench and press down on one handle while the other is on the bench.

A center-punched dimple makes finding the exact spot easy by putting the punches locating tit in the dimple while you move the whole assembly around.

That punch, a "nibbling tool," "sheet metal" pliers, bench vise, and a hand reamer, metal file, and I have everything I need for metal chassis or mounting bracket construction; fast and easy.

Reply to
default

I still have an "impact wrench" for removing those. You used a sledgehammer for the "impact".

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Many years ago, probably when Sears was more generous, my then brother in law worked at an electric motor repair/rewind shop. They has several 2" to 3" sockets that they used with a three foot 'cheater' bar. About every third try, they would just bust the socket. Every week or so, one of the guys was sent to Sear with the busted ones, and came back with new ones. Those thing went for $30 to $50 dollars apeice!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Yep. The fine print now says not for commercial use. ...Jim Thompson

Too easy. When I was in college, the material testing lab had a nifty torsion tester. It could twist a cylindrical test sample into a pretzel shape. When nobody was looking, I "tested" a 6" Craftsman

3/4" shaft extension, which eventually took on a spiral shape causing all the chrome to peel off. Plenty of teeth marks in the grip area. The extension was rated for about 250 ft-lbs maximum. I think it yielded at about 3000 ft-lbs but don't recall the exact number.

I then took the remains to Sears and demanded a replacement. After useless discussion about abuse, and several attempts to extract from me the real story of how I destroyed the shaft extension, I was blessed with a brand new replacement. The twisted extension was on display for several months at the Pico Blvd Smog Angeles Sears store, until someone apparently stole it.

Sorry, I couldn't find any photos.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com