Keeping the exponent at a fix value in Excel

I can't guarantee that it will always be to the -3, but I can guarantee that it will be an "engineering" prefix that is some multiple of 3 (i.e. kilo, micro, pico, giga, etc.)

Format the cell(s) in question with the Custom format of ##0.0E+0 (this is one of the predefined Custom formats).

It wasn't my original idea; I think Jim Thompson showed me how to do it a few years ago.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Don't use "Scientific", use "Engineering" notation.

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

Format -> Cells -> Number -> Custom

##0.0E+0

As Jim of RST reminded me.

...Jim Thompson

Hi

When formatting in Scientific, how can you keep the exponent constant and allow the decimal point to move? For example

If I have:

6.647E-03 1.741E-02 8.378E-02

How do I ensure that Excel keeps the E to E-3 and adjust the decimal point?

Cheers

WayneL

Reply to
WayneL

Could please let me know how to format in Engineering notation? I have been in Format => Cell and there is not Engineering on Scientific.

Cheers

WayneL "Jim Thompson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
WayneL

[...]

Like this: ###.000E+00

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Speaking of which: Does Excel do SI prefixes yet?

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman