JFET gain control "resistor" in Weinbridge oscillator

"George Herold" "Phil Allison"

Phil, Opps, Sorry, I really set you off. Pleae accept my humble appologies. I did not look at your schematic! My only excuse can be resonding to email late at night after after tipping a few with friends during the Buffalo Bills game. (The Bills won!!!)

** Glad to hear it ......

I am at work now and will happily look over the circuit. You mentioned a double All Pass phase shifter, which I see as the first two op-amps, but how is the loop amplitude controlled? What stops the oscillations from growing with out bound? OK I think I see when the four diodes start to conduct the gain around IC2a is reduced.

** Yep - it only take the slightest bit of diode conduction to do that too.

Such limiting is nothing like as complicated as using a feedback control loop.

Cos, unlike such loops, is both instantaneous and 100 % effective.

IC2b performs the magic of removing the distortion.

If I leave out the thermistor then a signle RV2 pot will adjust the amplitude. I'll try bread-boarding the circuit and see what I think.

** Be amazed.

For more output level, best use more diodes or ( matched) low voltage zeners back to back.

.... So I started looking at building my own oscillator and when I found the Weinbirdge I "fell in love". (Does this make me a farie??) So the romance is now winding down and I'll again certainly look at your oscillator. And agian sorry for getting you upset.

** I think I can live with it.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

hat

ers

Hi Phil, I got my morning work done and slapped together your circuit. Since I don't have to wait for any FET's to arrive and can play right away. I used OPA227 opamps.. (mostly because they were lying around.) The circuit oscillated right away. There was some high frequency "fuzz" (2 MHz.) between -1.2 and +1.2 volts... something to do with the diodes no doubt, But I put 1nF in parallel with the feedback of IC2a and that cured it. Now I've looked at the distortion at the output of the three amps and it's pretty ugly!

Yes to say the least there is a bit of magic here. I didn't put this final op-amp into the circuit. The fourth op-amp looks a bit like a differential amp, but with differerent gains in each arm.... and then you are mixing in part of the output from IC2a in also... Is there any theory to guide in the selection of these "mixing ratios" or was this done by trail and error?

Thanks again for the circuit idea. George

Reply to
George Herold

Joerg replied:

Yup. They didn't even ask my permission. Take a look at this photo:

The dual rectangular box aft is the Seasparrow launcher, and the binocular-looking thing just above the flight deck is the Seasparrow radar director. Every other piece of RF gear and weaponry is gone.

--
Gordon S. Hlavenka
Join the Revolution at http://www.ronpaul.com

"JosephKK"

( snip the cretin's mindless personal abuse )

** Go drop dead - you autistic pile of dung.

Then your rotting corpse will match your brain.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"George Herold"

** Learn how to trim - George

And do NOT answer TWO people the same post.

Very rude.

Oh and Phil, by changing the postion of the capacitor and resistor at the noninverting input of the second opamp, you can make the second "all pass filter" of the noniverting type. Then you don't need the tirhd inverting op-amp stage.

** Then you do not have the 3 needed signals for the fourth op-amp stage which cancels the THD.

You are a fool to mess with that circuit.

You have to then add some gain control to one (or both) of the all-pass stages, but this is easy! So at the end of the day yesterday I had an oscillator running from 2 to 20 kHz with quadrature outputs and -35dB of third harmonic. (The third harmonic is all from the diode limiting and should go away as soon as my FETs arrive.)

** Got news for you - pal.

JFETS are *highly non-linear * devices, so you will have lots of second harmonic if you use one as a gain control element with any more than 50mV of signal across it.

You have FAILED to see how elegant, foolproof and FAST the diode limiting is compared to other methods.

So I'll reserve judgment on Phil,

** Yawnnnnnnnnn ....

and also note that good idea's can come from anywhere.

** But you are no respecter of persons or a recogniser of good ideas.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Sorry, I'm still a newbie! I'll try to do better in the futrue.

I'm certainly a fool, but if I don't "mess" with the circuit then how do I learn anything. And I do always get excited by a few initial successes only to later have reality come and bite me.

Well this is my first time using a FET for anything but a low resistance switch. It looks like I'll have something like 0.5 to 1 Volt across it, so I should fail miserablly. (Have you seen Jim Willaim's cure for the channel resistance modulation AN-43 figure 45. Linear Technologies).

Why do you say that? I really like the circuit and "magic" mixing to remove distortion. Other circuits will serve as a comparison.

Phil would it make you happier if I was rude?

George

Reply to
George Herold

Very sad. Why are they so wasteful? Just think about the scrap value of all those metals. I mean, here we have shady folks who steal an air conditioner out of grampa's backyard to net twenty bucks at the salvage yard and there the Navy just chucks a whole big ship.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Ignore Phalluson - he's just a troll, with nothing constructive to say.

It is OK to reply to two or more posters in the same post - just snip and attribute sensibly. This is also referred to as "interleaved" posting.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

"George Herold"

** YOU MUST NOT IGNORE THE ABOVE !!!

** You have been handed an optimised solution.

Go mess with some other circuit on your own.

** Even with the exact compensation signal voltage applied to the gate, THD is still high.

Been through that exercise many times.

Plus THD at very low frequencies ( like 3 Hz ) will be MUCH WORSE that at audio frequencies.

** Cos you are still in love with stupid, damn JFETS.

** Completely off with the fairies - like I said before.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Rich Grise"