JFET Common Source DC Amplifier Temperature Compensation

On a sunny day (Wed, 21 Nov 2007 00:12:17 +0100) it happened Fred Bartoli wrote in :

OK, my mistake, I thought he took the output from the drain of the lower FET. Yes the opamp output will be Vin + 2.5V

But then, if you have an opamp, why use the JFET end the extra 2.5 V? OK, maybe it was not a FET opamp. My apologies anyways to Vladimir, I just wanted to go to sleep and realised that you ment the opamp output. So I switched on the PC to correct it and found Fred's posting.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Yup...I think that's where I'm headed..

Maybe call J2 a 'reference amp'. Where J2 is a reference circuit. Relative to J2 drift, compensate to maintain J1's bias point. Something like that... :P

Nice.. You did a temp sweep.

Heck...I don't even know if I can trust LT's JFET models and I haven't spotted yet if I can do a temp sweep in LTSpice.

I'd say 90% of circuits I've seen use Rs in JFET linear circuits. Without Rs...it's interesting to see the performance of the alternatives. :)

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Yes, I'm sure you have, Fred.

The familiar J105 "switching" JFET can make a great low-noise amplifier. Check it out, Idss =3D 500mA. Awesome, but of course we'd never think of using it in analog mode anywhere near such high drain currents.

Reply to
Winfield Hill

[snip]

Sure you can. Mikey did a good job with LTspice.

If you're really trying to make a comparator rather than a linear amplifier, you might experiment with current source loads (hint, hint ;-)

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

Load this file again...

It now contains another version... of course use a better OpAmp or Comparator to get the speed ;-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

[snip]

Load this file yet again...

It now contains still another version... Comparator as Output.

I can now walk, swaying a bit, without aid of a walker or cane... guess it's time to try the water ;-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

I don't remember whether the P8000/8002 were classified as switching JFETs but we used them up to where the heat sink had that new wood stove smell.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Great!

Try Shiraz, tastes better. But it won't exactly help with that swaying.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Neato!

DC amp: check Thermal compensation: check BW to 2Mhz: check (Looks fast! (1) (2)) Amplifies below rail voltage: check Inverting output: n/a check Uses matched dual JFET pack: check Low noise: op amp noise introduced (eh...might be ok).. check Parts count: great Prone to oscillation: dunno yet

(1) No gain! (2) I suspect thermal compensation can be traded off for more gain by including negative feedback about the op amp.

In some ways this circuit is like the inclusion of Rs... Gain is traded off for thermal stability.

Impressive :)

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Hmmm.. :) Constant current combining with thermal compensation current. Wow .. Thermally stable for Vgs = -200mV. That's only point that really needs to be temp. stable in my app.

The comparator version might seem out of place here... But I suspect some eerie precognition. :) The circuit following the JFET amp in my app is ..a comparator :P

I guess the idea here is to have Vgs J2 = Vgs J1.. When that happens, the output shouldn't drift much. It's like a voltage divider. For R1 = R2, if R1 drifts just like R2 then it doesn't show up in the output.

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

May I also add, the J105 in its original TO-92 package had many manufacturers in its day, even tho now there are only a few. 10 years ago Fairchild introduced the smt JFTJ105, in a hefty sot-223 package. NSC's NDSJ105 sot-23 package was discontinued, being far too wimpy to cage the beast!

I don't remember the P8000 and P8002 JFETs, who made them and what kind of package did they come in?

Reply to
Winfield

I meant WALK on the water ;-)

...Jim Thompson

The tracking is only exact for Vgs1 == Vgs2 and Vds1 == Vds2

...Jim Thompson

I replaced the LM339 with a 10ns comparator... overall delay is 60ns. Does that fit with your needs?

...Jim Thompson

This is how we used them in high-IP3 RF amps back in the old days:

Of course me being in high school and then university the budget often only allowed for the BF245 where you had to glue half a dozen together to achieve that kind of performance. Later I did some projects with P8002 transistors after I landed a nice side job at our RF institute.

Search for the text string "In deze schakeling heeft mijn P8002" in this page and underneath you find a P8002 in TO220 style housing:

BTW the radio described in there was probably one of the best and most cost efficient designs ever. I've got one here and learned a lot from it when young. It uses JFETs bidirectionally so stages could be operated transmit and receive without switch gear.

IIRC TI and Siemens produced them. Marvelous FETs. But all good things come to an end some day.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I too found the Atlas page, and another one leading to the 8002 datasheet:

Nice fet but idss is spec'ed at 140mA max.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Yes, but you could easily have it dissipate several watts. Try that with those SOT23 JFETs :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Got a fast comparator in mind that isn't a lot more expensive than the LM339? Always looking for a bargain here ...

And yes, I know your standard answer that you just roll your own :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yep ;-)

Larkin can probably give you a part number... he's fond of using LVDS and PECL parts as comparators.

...Jim Thompson

Ahhh.

From another point of view... I think I see common mode and differential mode. The DC drift is set up to be common (common mode). The DC signal is from a differential.

D from BC