battery charging temperature compensation

Found a reference for lead acid; about -5.5 mV/*C per cell. Seeking the same info for li-ion.

With lead acid you would get a 1% compensation differential with a 4.4 degrees centigrade change. If li-ion batteries were to require compensation of the charging voltage versus temperature on the same order of magnitude, then that would take you outside the 1% voltage regulation specified for li-ion batteries even within a fairly narrow temperature window. But I can't find any information about this.

Reply to
kell

Li+ batteries, when charged using constant current/constant voltage (as specified by the manufacturer) require no temperature compensation in the charger when being charged within their acceptable temperatures.

For Li+, charging should only start when 0C

Reply to
PeteS

Reply to
kell

Reply to
kell

There's that note about acceptable temperature ranges. Indeed, it is because of chemistry changes that one should not charge the device outside the temperature range I stated. Unlike other chemistries where we can compensate a little for a wider temperature range, Li+ and LiPoly are not susceptible to this technique.

As to manufacturer's documentation, they are a google search away.

Try varta batteries (They are one of the many suppliers I use).

You can also look for scholarly papers on the actual chemical effects within Li+ quite easily.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS