jeopardy game design request

Hi All,

I hope I am not way out of line posting in this forum, but it was the only one I found where I thought I could get some help.

My 12-year-old son needs to build an electronics project. He has decided he would like to build a buzzer/light/switch like game of jeopardy; where the first person pressing a button will be allowed to answer the question. The wiring should not be advanced; as it is a grade-6 project.

I am not an electrical engineer by any means, so determining the right combination/architecture of switches/lights/buzzers/relays/? - I cannot do. Can anyone provide some basic guidance to get us going?

He wants to design it using a piece of wood as the board.

Thanks, in advance,

Richard

Reply to
rfoulds

a quick goog found this

which may be a bit advanced, but it is just one circuit repeated many times. maybe a more thorough google would find something simpler

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

You are going to need something to prevent the second button from having any effect. How many buttons do you want to do? The usual number is 3.

Can you solder electronic stuff?

You can use relays to do the work but the cost will be kind of high. You can use logic but you will have to work on small stuff.

See:

and search for: Solderless Breadboard

I think that will get you the right stuff to let you avoid any need to solder onto small parts.

I'm going to suggest that you use a couple of CD4013B ICs and a CD4078B.

The nice thing about the CD40XX logic is that it can be powered by just a 9V battery. There will also be some transistors needed to make enough power to switch the buzzers.

Take a look and see if it looks like something you can handle.

Reply to
MooseFET

text -

Hi there.

Firstly, thanks for the replies!

I am not that advanced in electronics, so you have to know who you are dealing with :-)

I found a SOLDERLESS BREADBOARD at the local source store (old radioshack here in Canada) -

Can I use this? If so, care to tell me a little more?

We have started to buy some parts and have the following:

- some 20 guage Hook Up wire

- momentary push-button switches

- threaded base lamp holders and bulbs

- double-AA battery holder with color-coded wire leads

- some clips

- mini buzzers

I would appreciate any direction...and don't mind if we have to spend a little more $$$.

Thanks,

Richard

P.s. we need to do this over the next 2 days :-)

Reply to
rfoulds

text -

-

A simple non-registered PAL could handle the logic, subject to the cautions listed below.

Inputs: AButton, BButton, CButton, ClearButton (all pulled up and active low when pressed) Oututs: AFirst, BFirst, CFirst.

Players A, B, C have their buttons, controller has Clear Button. Three indicators are connected to AFirst, BFirst, CFirst outputs.

AFirst = /AButton * BButton * CButton * /BFirst * /CFirst * ClearButton + AFirst * ClearButton;

BFirst = AButton * /BButton * CButton * /AFirst * /CFirst * ClearButton + BFirst * ClearButton;

CFirst = AButton * BButton * /CButton * /AFirst * /BFirst * ClearButton + CFirst * ClearButton;

This method is subject to race conditions between the player inputs, which might result in multiple "First" indications, or none at all. This is because there is unavoidable finite setup time for the logic and propagation delays in the signals being routed back into the decision matrix.

Reply to
Richard Henry

As you are already at Google Groups ("The Usenet Archive")--this is Usenet; NOT Google Groups-- a search would have turned up numerous times this has been asked:

To see the diagrams in a monospaced font,

**More options** then **Show original** (or copy & paste into Notepad).
Reply to
JeffM

asked:

I did this...but all the ones I saw are are too complex for a Grade 6 Science project...I am looking for the most basic version possible.

Thanks,

Richard

Reply to
rfoulds

Unfortunately this is not as simple as you might think.

A google for (simple game show buzzer circuit) got a number of hits, home built like

or commercial kits like

(which needs a power supply kit also).

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Here's a nice simple design that can be extended if necessary. If you also want buzzers, place them instead of (or in parallel with) the lamps.

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

text -

-

The circuit with 3 relays is likely to be the quickest to build, if you can get the relays.

BTW: The "clear" button needs to open the connection when pressed not close it. A single pole, single throw switch will work for it since nobody needs to do it quickly.

Reply to
MooseFET

Who do you think we are? A help desk? This is a discussion forum, so whatever you bring here will get discussed. If you want "no questions asked", go find a local professional who will build this thing for you and pay him accordingly.

Two days of deadline is ridiculously short for someone without any background in electronics. Any of us here could lash up that relay circuit within an hour, but there's always a chance of having made a mistake, and without any experience you're going to find it hard to troubleshoot it. And then you probably want it to look nice, too...

Good luck.

--Daniel

Reply to
Haude Daniel

Thanks to all those who provided helpful responses! We went with the

3-player Jeopardy game, that was graciously provided here, and just finished it this am. We're just painting the board.

Thanks again for all the help!

Richard

Reply to
rfoulds

John just did.

How long did you procrastinate before getting started on the assignment?

Have you tried

?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Rich Grise wrote:

Something even more specific was offered with the response **That's too hard**:

*-groups.google.com/groups/search-*-*-*-*-*news: snipped-for-privacy@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com

In retrospect, I think a better life lesson for the procrastinator (trying to do something beyond his skill level--even when copying verbatim) would have been to have given no assistance and allow the kid to get a failing grade.

Reply to
JeffM

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

Though too late for the OP, and probably way too complex from him and his son:

This is a Jeopardy game control that I built several years ago for one of our Biology instructors. She wanted it to do a "fun" pre-final prep with her students. It's been used at my college, the college she moved to, and for our annual staff appreciation week "game show". It's based on the a design at:

It has the advantage of only needing two wires to the "contestent controls", so they can be run out on long speaker wire to people around a lecture hall, or daisy-chained at tables. I added a couple more features:

A light controlled by the MC to indicate when they had finished reading the question and the contestents could then respond.

A light and buzzer to indicate a contestant had tried to respond before the question was completed.

It was built quickly, out of parts on hand, so there may be many ways to simplify or improve it.

The only part that seemed a little putzy was selecting the zener (DA2) on the contestant control. Using a regulated power supply would probably have made the more straight forward.

Have fun.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Moffett

Very nice circuits...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Fred Bloggs wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com:

I quickly did the schematic yesterday, and took another look at it today. I think I made an error in the contacts for RLY3. I think they were supposed to be N/C, and in series with the START switch, rather than in parallel. I'll have check with my handdrawn schematic Monday at work. It's been in use for about 4 years, and has never failed. Also the START and RESET switched are in a pendent in the MC's hand. The contestant controls are in small rectangular, plastic boxes with the the lamp on the top, the cord out the bottom, and the button on the side near the top, for a comfortable handheld.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Moffett

I had posted a schematic for my Jeopardy game control last week. I discovered a couple of errors, and have posted a correct version on TinyPics:

Ken Moffett