Is the LM386 Noisy ?

On a sunny day (Mon, 22 Jan 2007 21:59:54 +1100) it happened "Phil Allison" wrote in :

Ok, I could give a funny answer here, but if they really want to put that many dB into a 'person' (just to stay politically neurtal), that could indeed perhaps lead to hearing damage. In my life I was only once in a dancing where I had to leave because of sound pressure, and my ears were ringing for hours afterwards. That amp was designed by a friend of mine, he wanted me to hear it :-)

I would not want to expose others for long durations to something like that, but DOD might find it interesting.

So it would be better if the OP told us about what he is up to, to be able to find if I can, or actually would be, prepared to help in the design of it. OTOH a LM386 on a bad quality (low efficiency) opne headphone does not do much..... You need to know the whole setup really.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Jeez, you really are an asshole. Last time I try to help you.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

** ROTFL !!

With self appointed "friends" like Ian

- who has the slightest need for enemies ????

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Ian Bell"

** You simply had no identifiable point

- just a half baked, personal suspicion.

** Shame that assertion is not backed up with any support.
** Sure - with systems consisting of several gain stages.

Not one tiny bit relevant to a single chip device.

BTW.

Note that I have corrected my previous calculation.

The most unfairly maligned Natsemi LM386 is 6 dB quieter than earlier posted.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

No. Can you learn to snip?

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Precisely what you would expect from the 1500R between the two emitters. LOL

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

"Ian Bell the Bullshit Artist "

** ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS.

The noise voltage of a 1500 ohm resistor is only 0.63 uV rms in the audio band.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison