ir leds

Hi, can someone briefly explain to me how ir leds work? I'm thinking of the set that is a pair with one as sender and one as receiver. Also, what kind of options are available at various electronics sites?

Finally, I was curious what would happen if as my input I had an audio source that was fed through a sender ir led and picked up by the receiving one, whether it would modify the sound because it was changing the wavelenght (and if it does, how the setup might look).

many thanks, paul

Reply to
Paul Winters

How it works regarding solid state physics would require me to crack a book. However, you drive them like any other LED. While you could use a LED as a receiver, you are better off buying a real detector.

The audio question probably has a solution on the net. Clearly, you need to DC bias the LED, i.e. you can't feed it directly from an audio source. The DAA used by some PCMCIA modems used such an interface, but with a local IR detector in a feedback loop to linearize the system.

Reply to
miso