Intrinsic 1/f noise in ADCs and DACs

Yup. Or piezo balances. (Spehro and Co. are using SQUIDs for measuring gravity, but they're wild men.) We're doing the measurement interferometrically, which has a lot of advantages, including small size.

That's 10**-8 m/s**2, not m/s. It's the acceleration accuracy we need--a tiny fraction of a fringe, at DC. (Hence the plaque.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

How about doppler-shifting your laser reference (retroreflector on a moving disk... like a phonograph turntable) to raise the base frequency of the fringes?

Reply to
whit3rd

AKA: 'We all have our bears to cross'.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hi Phil,

Like ADS1278 ?

--

John Devereux
Reply to

That might work fine, thanks. It's a bit of a tight squeeze on the 0.8 inch diameter board, but we'd be able to save some parts on the other side by not having to deal with the truly awful mux charge injection.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Adding any sort of motion makes the detection problem much, much harder. Bearing noise, lubricant thinning, creep in flexures, temperature coefficient of Young's modulus.... One of the guys I'm working with on this is a mechanical genius, but he does need to be able to sleep at night. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Chopping generally increases noise floor but in the 1/F area. I don't know how to estimate chopping noise, however the typical figures for choppers are ~20nV/root(Hz). The 5nV/root(Hz) of ADS1282 is outstanding; don't know how hard it would be to achieve that with a home made circuit.

Vladimir Vassilevsky