interference question

I want to run 30 amp 10/2 wire 3 inches from phone, ethernet and cable wires.

Will the ac line cause interference with the data/voice lines?

Reply to
Jon

It might if you've got something noisy hanging off of it, like a honkin' big motor or industrial lighting or whatnot.

More importantly, you may get interference from your local building inspector. I have no idea what code says (other than most places don't want you to bury high voltage and low voltage in the same pipe).

So -- check your local building codes.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

No.

--

John Larkin, President Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

And whether the phone system is analog or digital PBX makes a big difference.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

If the lines are twisted pairs, shielded, balanced then the answer is no, up to a point. If in doubt, wrap the power line through a closed ferrite magnetic circuit, the more turns the lower the cutoff, this will kill any high frequency energy that might interfere with the data line.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Reply to
lektric.dan

Only if there are: 1) brush type motors, 2) on/off motors, 3) chopped AC devices like fluorescents, CFLs and lights with dimmers on the line. In the first 2 cases, even ten feet separation may not be enough.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I didn't think so.

I could run the wires >I want to run 30 amp 10/2 wire 3 inches from phone, ethernet and cable

No.

--

John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
Jon

BX cable?

Michael A. Terrell

Plastic pipe nominally used for waterpipe may be a lot less expensive.

Reply to
Robert Baer

And not legal where the NEC applies. Use PVC electrical conduit listed for the purpose.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

wires.

Voice I'm not sure of, but data can be incredibly robust. I recall setting up a LocalTalk (early Apple network protocol - RS-422 at 230 kbps) network in an HVDC converter station. As a test, we took a couple hundred feet of cable and wrapped it around a fluorescent light fixture outside the valve hall (where a 140 kV, 1700 A inverter resided). Perfect data transfer, and clean waveforms on the scope.

Reply to
Ralph Barone