Intel Atom: pros/cons/hazzards?

Who buys tools from Home Depot? I have Fastenal and Grainger stores near me where I can buy industrial grade.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Some soft drinks are sold in three liter bottles, in the US.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Wed, 08 Oct 2014 12:34:00 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell" Gave us:

It is a worldwide standard.

It is part of EIA-310.

If you do not subscribe to EIA standards, you likely do not make it as a worldwide player.

In metric, 482 mm (482.6).

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I don't like to quote Wikipedia as a reference for facts (they don't consider themselves to be a primary reference) from the wiki page linked above...

"What is important to note is that although it is called a 19" inch rack unit, the actual mounting dimensions of a 19" inch rack unit are 18.19" inches (462 mm) wide, center to center."

I don't think I ever figured out what feature of a 19" rack was actually

19 inches.
--

Rick
Reply to

rified"

out

as

the width of the front panel

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

On Wed, 08 Oct 2014 14:53:37 -0700, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno Gave us:

Friggin' crybabies who need their hand held every step through life.

Almost unbearable. Especially at your age. Here, crybaby...

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

(I still occasionally buy bread by the pound, and I believe you can still buy coal by the hundredweight. Both metric, of course (500g, 50kg).)

That's the same trick they used for floppies: "19-inch rack" is a type specification, not a size, much like "3-1/2 inch floppy" is a type specification for a magnetic disc within a 89mm plastic case.

Bicycles are also sold by inch sizes ("a 28-inch bike") intended as type specifications. An anecdote I heard a while ago was that one bus operator wrote in their terms and conditions that bikes "up to 20 inch" are free, meaning children's bikes. Somebody used this to say "by , my bike has just 19,5 inch wheels, so it's free", and got admitted.

Stefan

Reply to
Stefan Reuther

"3 1/2 inch" floppies are actually 90mm.

Reply to
Robert Wessel

I had someone in my office today looking for a 3.5" floppy - it turns out that they are still useful. (Apparently they make excellent IR filters!)

Reply to
David Brown

I have about 1000 new ones in sealed boxes from my days of computer repair. They were bought for pennies on the dollar and what I used of them have already paid for all of them.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Not a size? So you can shove anything you want, into a 19" relay rack? Just because you tack a metric measurement on it, doesn't mean it isn't 19".

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I think his point is that (usually) none of the actual dimensions on a

19" rack are actually 19 inches.
Reply to
Robert Wessel

They are, with specific tolerance to make sure the equipment fits neatly between the rails and math the specified height increment. Relay racks have been around for over 100 years.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 23:27:01 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell" Gave us:

I cannot imagine why none of these dopes could manage to examine to friggin' wiki site.

It has the history. It also lists numerous alternate information sources.

Most of which are listed as sources for the site material.

Anyone ever stop to think that it may have been meant to declare the maximum length of a device chassis? That way, the rack cabinet designers and the system integration engineers can manage the "back of the rack" particulars better.

I have had problems with HP and their FOOL length DL 360 server chassis.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Single-core (i686....) CPU with Hyper-Threading, AFAIK. I have a Netbook with that CPU and have not met any incompatibility while using Windows XP. A friend of mine is using linux on his Atom Netbook. I guess the Atom-based systems are working quiet well with Microsoft Windows and Unix for PC's.

They have a very low power-consumption (even when on full-throttle). They are slow, compared to CPUs above 30W power consumption. A balanced i3 i5 and even i7 system gives you nearly the same idle power-consumption as an Atom, but when it throttles, you have to take care of the approximately 26W 45W and 90W thermal-dissipation, what it takes to throttle a fast i3 i5 and i7 system to full-speed...

My base machine is an Alaska C60 APU (ASUS C60M1-I). Dual-Core 1GHz AMD APU. 7W idle 11W max. Passive cooled. Slow..... but.

--
Daniel Mandic
Reply to

Precisely. A 19" rack is one specific type of rack, with a specific width and depth, and specific mounting holes. You can probably get some kind of IKEA furniture that is 19 inches wide and which would possibly even be able to hold some electronic equipment, but that wouldn't be a '19" rack'.

Stefan

Reply to
Stefan Reuther

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 18:48:51 +0200, Stefan Reuther Gave us:

Specifically, with that in mind. A "19" rack" is a cabinet of various heights, but with a specific front side opening and front side rail face mounting hole configuration.

If that opening does not match or the drilled hole pattern, it cannot be called a 19" rack, because the devices meant to mount in such cabinets are what define the standard, and both have to marry.

The original equally spaced drill pattern was abandoned for the current schema.

So, it is about what industry elements mount in it that defines what one can properly call any given cabinet.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Nonsense.

Reply to
krw

The largest width dimension on the installed equipment is 19" (that's edge-to-dege on the "ears", (or across the front panel, if it has a single-piece front that bolts to the rails)

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

You certainly can.