input buffer question

Hi,

I am trying to interface to an oxygen sensor and am interested in a circuit with the following characteristics.

low output impedance. single rail bias into the 0 - 12V range. High input impedance (~1Mohms)

I have seen many single rail op amp applications, yet they all require either zener diode (frequency problems - especially low frequency) and resistor ladders which place the input impedance into the 50kohm range i.e. two 100k in parallel.

Anyone got any ideas how to build a simple single rail input input buffer that yields > 1Mohm input resistance and relatively good low frequency performance?

Thanks in advance

Competent

Reply to
floatinginput

Don't most (automotive) oxygen sensors produce a 0 to 900mV output, with no external bias needed? Any single-supply opamp follower or non-inverting amplifier should work fine.

I imagine you'll want a 10M resistor to ground, etc., so the opamp input won't be "floating" during the open condition the oxygen sensor exhibits when it's cold.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

The kind of oxygen sensor I'm familiar with is essentially a battery, albeit one with quite variable internal resistance (essentially open when cold, as you say). The voltage out is determined by the Nernst equation.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany