Indoor RC toy helicopters?

X-mas is coming! Last year I bought a couple, and was impressed by the mechanical and electronic design, but we couldn't make them work very well, we tried a lot of variations, including reading the instructions ;-). We even used tiny bits of plastercine to fine tune the balance and we extended some fins.

Betcha some of the guys in this group have tried out these little units, so I'm wondering if u have a specific recommended model for newbies. Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

Maybe all you need is a plane...

But I recommend buying a "toy" rc chopper from a hobby shop, from a maker with a track record in the hobby world. The cheap Chinese knock-offs you see for low prices generally don't have a swashplate so are very limited in what they can do. They can only go up in one direction or down, or vary the tail rotor's speed. You need the swashplate if you want to have more control.

Also the real choppers have a gyro. And they're not even that expensive, maybe 300-400$.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

This one

looks promising (I've been looking too).

I like that it charges from separate wall-wart rather than from the remote controller box (like some others). Also it's maneuverable; doesn't just travel forwards. Unknown whether the controls are proportional or bang-bang.

I've seen this model at other sites, like Amazon, that have deeper reviews on this and other models. I read too many reviews over the weekend and they're all running together ...

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

That's a cool design, does away with the swashplate with the two props.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

On a sunny day (Mon, 26 Nov 2007 13:50:09 -0800 (PST)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@netzero.com wrote in :

The whole mechanism can be omitted in a helicopter like the dragenflyer.

A bit more expensive, but add a camera, and you can do a lot.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje