Impossible FET or BJT design

Hi,

I wonder could anyone devise a simple switching circuit using FET's of BJT's for the following truth table:

Vin | Vout 0V | -10V

+3.3V | -15V

I have four power rails available: 0V, +5V, +15V and -15V.

I have racked my brain for an answer but have failed to find one.

Thanks in advance.

Ross.

Reply to
llienossor

Let me suggest a subproblem: Obtaining a -10V power rail. Work on getting -10V first.

You haven't said how much output current is required.

Reply to
mc

Thanks for the reply mc,

I can get the -10V power rail using a potential divider between the

-15V and 0V rails.

The output current required is 100uA.

Ross.

Reply to
llienossor

Thanks for the reply Spehro,

Maybe I'm missing what you are suggesting here but this doesn't seem to help. I want a switching circuit which when 0V is applied to the input, -10V will appear at the output. Similarly, when 3.3V is applied at the input, -15V will appear at the output.

Ross.

Reply to
llienossor

Assuming this is a homework question...

Imagine a fixed resistor of, say, 1K to the -15V rail, and negligible loading. Does that help?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Your truth table suggests an inverter and level translator. So something like this: View in a fixed-width font such as Courier.

. . . +5V . | . [1k] . | . +-----. . | | . [2k] | . | | . --- | . 0V | . | . | . .-----' . | . |< . in>------| . |\\ . | . | . [10k] . | . +------> out . | . [20k] . | . | . --- . -15V . .

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

More like this: View in a fixed-width font such as Courier.

. . +5V . | . [1k] . | . +-----. . | | . [2k] | . | | . --- | . 0V | . | . | . .-----' . | . |< . in>------| . |\\ . | . | . [20k] . | . +------> out . | . [10k] . | . | . --- . -15V . .

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Why the need for fets ? This is a perfect application for an op-amp.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

You sure like to give orders...pity your students.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

This is probably even better: View in a fixed-width font such as Courier.

. . +5V . | . [2k] . | . +-----. . | | . [1k] | . | | . --- | . 0V | . | . | . .-----' . | . |< . in>------| . |\\ . | . | . [20k] . | . +------> out . | . [10k] . | . | . --- . -15V . .

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Thanks for the reply Fred,

Is the FET an n-channel or p-channel? Is the drain connected to the upper part of the schematic or the lower part?

Ross.

Reply to
llienossor

Ahem ! The *fet* ? How's the course been going ? Missed many lectures ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Jfet or mosfet btw ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Graham,

Fred is using ascii characters to map out a circuit. Drawing the proper symbol for the transistor is dificult. I can't tell from the ascii representation of the transistor if it is a JFET or MOSFET.

The application involves switching power supplies to an IC. I don't want to use op-amps.

Ross.

Reply to
llienossor

I know !

There a few programs available to do this actually.

It's neither. I was (a) pulling your leg and (b) trying to find out if you knew what it really is.

Whyever not ? Admittedly a transistor is cheaper though !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

It's a PNP bipolar.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Methinks that there is no FET inthe circuit given, so the answer is "neither".

Reply to
Robert Baer

Vacuum FET, as in tube.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Don't know how to read a simple schematic?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Bipolar syndrome! Get that medication to it NOW!

Reply to
Robert Baer