Ignition igniter?

So on the side of my John Deere garden tractor there is this little encapsulated (55.00!) part about a 1 1/2" square that has a connector that sees 12v and the ignition coil and ground through it's case. (not in series or anything...just taps those 2 connections).

What the heck are these things? An igniter? or also called, "trigger coil?.

I'm wondering if I can grab some sort of standard part that may work or if someone could tell what's going on inside these things, I'll head to my junkbox.

It's a new one on me.

It's mounted on the side of the Kawasaki engine block.

Thanks.

(I got it to crank but no spark...this first...coil next).

Reply to
Michael

"Michael" wrote in news:Ho-dnadatsID1NjZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Honda/Acura uses an "igniter" module instead of mechanical "points" to switch current to the ignition coil,from a signal from the PGM-FI computer(ECU).From what I gathered from IC data,it monitors coil current to maximize "dwell time" to get the most output from the coil.

your module may also have an integral crank sensor to tell it when to switch.

has pix and a circuit of the Honda igniter.

BTW,the Honda igniter is one of the frequent problem areas for the ignition circuit.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I'm really puzzled by it....wish I could have had some more response.

What I don't get is it isn't in series or in a path before the ignition coil....it connects between the coil 12v and ground and that's it, no more than 2 connections.

So the only way it effects anything is by influencing the path to ground. ?

Alters the impedance? hence the current?

Does anyone know a test I can run on the part? (DC resistance is about 1k, one direction and 500k the other).

Reply to
Michael

"Michael" wrote in news:oK2dnUacTNxcsdvZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

The case could be the third connection.Maybe it grounds the coil through the case of the device,and has a +12 supply.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Suspect it is a potted "SCR like" cct , triggers when voltage/current reaches some threshold (guessing). I replaced the points on my lawnmower with a similar aftermarket blob, much cheaper D

Reply to
Dave Lag

Can't you take it off, take it to the local John Deere shop, and ask them? They'll want your model and year and all that info, of course. They might even have an electrical diagram in their shop.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Which is it? Your original post read as if there were three connections, coil, 12V, and ground.

Is it mounted anywhere near the flywheel? If so, it could be part of a magneto system. If it has a seperate 12V input, it is an interruptor (of some kind), which senses the flywheel position (magnetically) and breaks the coil primary to trigger the spark.

Opinions stated herein are the sole property of the author. Standard
disclaimers apply. All rights reserved. For external use only. If
irritation, rash or swelling occurs, discontinue use immediately
and consult a physician. Void where prohibited.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.