IGBT Dimmers

I need to learn a bit more about IGBT dimmers in the 10-100kW range. I have done a lot of work with IGBTs generating AC from a DC buss, and a bit of work with SCR/Triac dimmers, but have never used IGBTs in dimmer circuits. Does anyone here have experience with them?

My initial impression is that I will be able to reduce harmonics and that the price will be quite a bit higher, but what about power dissipation and product weight (smaller chokes)?

Wild idea: could this possibly be an application suitable for a GTO (Gate turn-off Thyristor)?

Results of my preliminary web search:

The Silence of the Lamps: The New Wave in Dimming

Back to the Future: Sine wave dimming

Cost of Energy Comparison, IGBT vs SCR Dimming Equipment

Benefits of IGBT vs. Sinewave Dimming

Benefits of IGBT vs. SCR Dimming

IGBT vs. SCR Dimming Spreadsheet

Using IPS Dimmers to Reduce Power Line Harmonic Currents

Effects of harmonics on power systems

United States National Committee Powerline Harmonics Position Paper

Wikipedia: Dimmer

Wikipedia: Gate turn-off Thyristor

Powerpedia: Thyristor

Guy Macon  Guy Macon
Guy Macon  Guy Macon
Guy Macon  Guy Macon
Guy Macon  Guy Macon
Reply to
Guy Macon

"Guy Macon"

** Incandescent lamps in the " 10-100kW range " are rare beasts indeed.

You sure about wanting single channel dimming at such huge power levels ?

** IGBTS are used in two quite separate ways as dimmers - as you first URL alludes to.
  1. Phase control by chopping the AC wave.
  2. PWM of the AC wave to produce sine wave output at lower voltages.
** The issue with phase control is that the fast switching of large currents generates EMI - particularly bad in the audio and AM broadcast bands. Choke filtering helps with the AM band noise - but annoying buzz injection into audio systems is still there.

With IGBTs, the turn on and off times can be controlled to reduce ( AM band) EMI, plus the chopping of the AC wave normally operates in the reverse sense - ie starting at zero volts, rising slowly with the AC input voltage and cutting off as required.

With PWM sine wave dimming, EMI can be virtually eliminated making these dimmers very suitable for use in close proximity to sensitive audio gear. Sine wave dimmers cause no harmonic current in the neutral and have unity power factor - but cost a lot more to make than the simple phase control types.

Phase control dimmers, of whatever type, DO cause harmonic currents and have poor power factors - despite the false claims being made in some of the URLs you posted.

But they *are* cheap.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Who would need a dimmer for a lighthouse? Isn't that self-defeating?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Here's one that you missed, which might be of interest:

It has several ouput modules including IGBT.

--
John B
Reply to

Just because you haven't prsonally worked with Incandescent fixtures that draw more than 10kW of power, tha doesn't mean that they don't exist. For example:

20kW Fresnel light
145kW Super Wendy light (224 bulbs x 650W = 145.6kW)

In addition, common usage of the the term "dimmer" referes to a device that reduces the wattage of AC power, and does not specify the load (although if the load isn't resistive, that should be mentioned). A nickel-chromium resistance wire heating element can also be dimmed. In such a case the load is still incandescent, with the output mostly infrared and with with a small amount of the output in the visible red.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

Thanks! I found a lot mor by doing a Google search on "Open Dimmer":

Guy Macon
Reply to
Guy Macon