I want to blow up my brother's speakers

I always wake up to my jerk brother blasting terrible music. He is an evil person, and doesn't care about others. Fighting won't solve anything. Talking won't solve anything.

I want to make a circuit and implant it in his speakers. Something that will allow me to control the speakers (wireless transmitter?) or just to limit the volume.

Any suggestions? Even something as cheap as soldering a resistor in there or something to limit the gain.

Thanks! tom

Reply to
tomtomtomtomtom

Just disconnect the internal wire between the speaker proper and the speaker terminals. If you do it right, you can make it look like it was a poor solder joint to start with and just fell off. Tell your brother you figure that the loud music caused enough vibration to knock if off. :-)

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Yes, but that won't mess with his head enough. :)

Reply to
tomtomtomtomtom

This is a good idea, but i don't want it to turn off right away, cause that will only cause him to get new speakers. If it would only bring it down to a level that he would live with and not go buy new speakers. Or the best would be to be able to cause distortion or change the volume by remote at will. though that may too expensive.

Thanks much for the prompt replies so far y'all.

Reply to
tomtomtomtomtom

Disconnect the wire and add a high-watt variable resistor, about 100 ohms, in series with the speaker. Every day, turn the resistance up a little. After a few weeks, the sound will be almost too quiet to hear.

For more fun, just fiddle it randomly every day.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Dunno. A stun gun around the speaker cables and especially the connected equipment would do the job.

Even if it doesn't stop it, threatening he's next might do it.

If he doesn't already know how much a joule of energy hurts, he'll soon find out...

Or if a stun gun is illegal in your part of town, I'm guessing a baseball bat isn't. Gives a much more visual representation of your frustration. (and it's great fun to smash stuff too).

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to

Tom, Diodes in parallel, reversed end for end, are used as clippers - inside the box at the cabinet speaker terminals. If too quiet, add another pair in series. If he cranks it, it will sound horrible. If he keeps it cranked, the high frequency content of the clipped audio (the more square the waveform, the more HF content) will burn out his tweeters.

Does anyone remember the solution for cassette offenders? A piece of clear tape on the tape head would keep the tape further away from the tape head. Reduced magnetic field strength from the tape = reduced volume.

Reply to
deinefreunde1-google1

I have an idea. Ultrasonic side band audio from one side of the room aimed at his nesting point and the carrier of that from the other side, aimed at his nesting point. You can't hear either one until you are in the path of both. with that, you could sit there with a microphone to generate some nice spooky sounds that he only can hear at that position..

Any ways. I have had for a few years now a little stereo that inputs into a box which composes of a double balance mixer to generate the side bands, that goes to an ultrasonic emitter. one for each channel. And have a center radiator that composes the carrier. I position the units so that I can listen to my stereo at my desk with out others hearing it.

It really freaks out people when they come over to talk to me.

I've also heard something on the effect of that technology being used for criminal acts.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Maybe it's time to find a new place to live, instead of resorting to vandalism...?

Just a thought

Reply to
mrdarrett

100 ohms? Check your math.
prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Um, ok...

Day 1, set it to zero ohms. 100% of the current goes to the speaker.

0db

Day 2, turn it up to 8 ohms, 50% of the current goes to the speaker;

1/4 the power, that's down, um, 6db?

Day N, up at 100 ohms. 7.4% of the current goes to the speaker, about

0.5% of the power. -22db?

Ok, I've checked my math. Now what?

This assumes a constant signal amplitude into an otherwise 8 ohm speaker.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Use foam ear plugs until you move out. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Just plug them into the power outlet...

Reply to
Robert Baer

You think that attenuation will make it inaudible?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Late at night, by candle light, "Michael A. Terrell" penned this immortal opus:

Possibly not, but a lot more bearable, wich seems to be what the OP wants.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

No, but it will make her brother think the radio's broken.

Besides, if you go much higher, you lose precision in the loud end.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

You could, build a small DC power supply from the AC drive to the speakers then use that to power a 555 timer to periodically interrupt the connection to the speaker with a relay. Hide the whole thing in the cabinet - or use the AC/DC to operate a relaxation type oscillator that would only begin adding interrupting the speaker when the output level was enough to charge the relaxation capacitor (I like that idea better since it may condition him to using less volume).

High power amp will supply ~150 volts to the speakers so the PS would have to work over a wide range of voltage

Relaxation oscillators can be made with unijunction transistors or four layer diodes (virtually extinct - but can be duplicated with jfets)

Or your circuit could incorporate a comparator to just cut the speaker when the volume got too high and switch in a dropping resistor to lower the volume.

Hell, you could really have a lot of fun with this!

Newsgroups
default

Have you asked your parents? If you have, and they won't help you, go talk to your school counselor, because you're a victim of abuse.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Try reversing the phase of his stereo signal. It has the effect of feeling that your eardrums are being pulled out. It is an odd sensation. You could also reverse the wires on one speaker. That can cause some irritation too. If he has a component system, switch the left and right channel input plugs. You could also pull the volume control knobs off and re-index them, that is put them back on so that a high volume is indicated when the control shaft is actually turned to the lower volume level. I had a psychotic business partner years ago who insisted on turning up the treble and bass controls on the preamp with the loudness button pushed in. I took the preamp apart, disabled the loudness control and re-indexed the treble and bass knobs so that they indicated the level he liked to run them when the controls were actually centered. I don't think he ever caught on.

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Reply to
unclemon