I have a 2200VA UPS - How many watts can it support?

Hello, I can say that I always get a bit confused when dealing with VA W and UPS. I have an idea how it works but just want confirmation:

The equipment that I have is gives me WATTS (354W, 360W, 90W, etc) they are switches and servers:

I have a UPS that is 2200VA How do I know how much wattage to put on it?

Reply to
ocarmona777

2200 watts ish :)
Reply to
TT_Man

It depends on the power factor of the load.

Look it up. You might learn something.

The UPS has a maximum current it can supply. This ties in with a maximum VA. When you look up VA versus Watts you will get it.

--
Gibbo

In accordance with our company policy of minimum environmental impact
this post was made entirely with the 100% recycled electron.
Reply to
Gibbo

UPS is not in this club.

2200 (VxA cos(phi) depending on the angle between voltage and current as defined by your load. Go guess.

Have fun

Stanislaw.

Reply to
Stanislaw Flatto

Not true, Around 1800 watts-+

18 light of 100 watts

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Free Multi-Chat server , Private no Disturb from the Internet network Check other services on :

Access Usenet NEWS://SPACESST.COM (free) Our NEWS Server HAVE LESS SPAM ! Web Usenet
WebFTp interface Free to use Receive FilesByEmail free to use

Reply to
MidJet

It depends on the cos(phi) factor of the load. UPS are mostly sold to be used with computer equipment. IIRC computers have a typical cos(phi) around 0.72 So that would be 2200 * 0.72=1584W.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

"Stanislaw Flathead

** Oh no - NOT AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!

The Flathead Fool still does not know the basic definition of Power Factor.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Nico Coesel"

** AC supply loads that use rectifiers and filter capacitors to produce a DC supply normally have a poor power factor or PF . Without any correction device or circuits, the PF can easily be a low as 0.4.

The current draw consists of brief (1 to 2 mS) pulses that coincide with the AC supply voltage maxima.

Since no phase angle exists between current and voltage - no " phi " can be assigned.

The BASIC definition of PF does not rely on phase angle:

PF = watts / VA

where

V = AC RMS volts & A = AC RMS amps

When the AC current draw is a stream of brief pulses, its RMS value is much higher than the same average current draw in the form of a sine wave.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You don't. You need to know the apparent power (VA) of the loads.

If you don't know the apparent power, you can either measure it, or just keep adding more load to the UPS until it fails.

Reply to
Nobody

Maybe they used to be that bad.

Mine has a power factor of 0.96, 154VA, 148W. It's not a 'special' power supply either. Switching on the monitor drops it to 0.93.

Dave.

Reply to
David Jordan

I could definitely say this is one of my weak points in Sys/Net Admin.

-- I hear you guys talk and is like chineese. I feel like one of those little old ladies that is trying to understand when somebody tells them how to email and burn CD's. LOL

Well I think somebody posted around 1800 Watts more less.

Reply to
ocarmona777