Hypothesis: Hurrican causing massive electromagnetic field effecting transatlantic cable.

Hello,

I just experienced a very weird internet outage/partial fall out.

It was very weird and only last for a minute or so, some websites failed to load, others half, some fully but slowly.

It might have been some kind of radio or satelite link being affected.

But I don't think my traffic goes via that because then the latency should be above 500 milliseconds or something and it's not that high ever.

So my best guess is it must have been something else, and here is my hypoth esis:

The rotational speed of the hurrican, swinging/circularing around all these air particles must have had some kind of massive electrical effect, that c aused the trans atlantic cable in the sea, assuming there is one... to brie fly fail cause corrupted packets or somehow cause a brief internet disrupti on.

This could mean this hurrican's electro magnetic field penetrated deep into the ocean, so deep it affected this cable.

If this hypothesis is unknown in the sciencetific community which I find so mewhat hard to believe, I will google this later, then my experimention sug gestion is as follows:

Send a submarine with highly sensitive equipment into the bottom of the oce an, before a future hurrican arrives and start measuring any electrical eff ects.

If this effect is currently unknown/unaware of then submarines of the navy might be at brief risk.

So it may be worth it for the army to investigate this phenemenon in case t here is any merit to it, and prevent any nuclear submarine mishap from occu ring ;)

This may also explain loss of planes in the bermuda triangle that may have been near such hurricanes at the time of disappearance ;) :)

Bye for now, Skybuck =D

Reply to
skybuck2000

New hypothesis: coastal internet equipment affected

The hurrican is about to strike the USA's beach... perhaps some coastal internet equipment was briefly affected but this storm's magnetic field, it was weird.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
skybuck2000

I will be a little bit more specific with the "hit" observation. I understood that the outer edges of the hurrican are the most powerfull, this seems to be the case.

At the time of the outages some 20 minutes ago, the edge of this hurrican hit the USA and this was pricely the moment I experienced this internet outage.

So this hurrican could also have affected internet equipment in-land somewhat... since the edge seems to be already over the beach and into the country of the USA.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
skybuck2000

Nice try, but all transatlantic cables are fiber optic, which is not affected by electro magic fields and paranormal phenomenon.

Submarine cable map

10 facts about internet undersea cables

What's inside the Undersea Internet Cable? (6:18)

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

We are having a solar storm.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

See this new thing:

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Boris Mohar

How about power failures and maybe lightning hitting various network infrastructure? There are likely tons of locations that have now lost power, and the network has to detect the down links and route around them. This can take a few minutes before it settles down.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Well, the data flows on optical fiber, but I think they still have repeaters every so many miles along the cable. A big enough glitch at either end might cause the repeaters (or their shore-based power supplies) to go offline for a second or so.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

As I vaguely recall, typical EFDA (erbium doped fiber amp) spacing is typically about 80 km.

The recently completed Marea tansatlantic cable is only 6,600 km long. It uses over 200 repeaters at 60-100 km intervals.

The AEC-1 cable from New York to Ireland is 5,523 km long and has 65 repeaters.

The power the the repeaters is 14KV DC. Anything operating in such a high voltage environment would probably be well protected against "glitches". Redundant power should be fairly easy to provide, even at

14KV DC. Well, maybe not so easy: "Power Feeding Equipment for Optical Submarine Cable Systems" 15KV at 500 ma = 7.5kw. It's powered by -48VDC which I guess means a big telco battery bank. I don't think short term power failures are a problem.