HV damages meter? (2023 Update)

Even for the old model with HV 1000V range, there is a warning label at the back "Do not test voltage over 250 volts". Defendant counters that plaintiff did not read the warning label,

If the item was given out free, there is no damage.

Reply to
Ed Lee

It tells you everything you need to know to make a purchasing decision. This IS NOT a designer's guide, Bozo.

I am WELL AWARE of UL and other testing labs.

Pure SPECULATION by Bozo completely UNVERIFIED by ANY facts whatsoever. But, why am I not surprised coming from Bozo?

LOL! Just TRY suing a Chinese company - just TRY!!

No, Bozo, they cut ALL KINDS of corners:

that this meter has NO certification marks. And for GOOD REASON: it would NEVER pass.

Reply to
Flyguy

Well, the cheap "DT830B" were surprisingly accurate. I have used 4 to measure the same voltage. IIRC the differences were in last digit and did not exceed 2 counts. They were bought from different sources at different times, so it is unlikly to be the same error on all. And they agreed with better meter. Newest ones seem to have larger errors, but still well withing specs.

AFAICS biggest problem with cheap meters are test leads, they tend to fail rather quickly. Second problem is main switch, which is formed from part of PCB. It seem to degrade with use. And failing switch can produce all kinds of wrong results.

Reply to
antispam

Why buy cheap junk test equipment?

Why buy cheap junk anything?

Because cheap isn't always junk and junk isn't always cheap? Sometimes it's kind of hard to tell.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

On a sunny day (Sun, 08 Jan 2023 11:44:32 -0800) it happened John Larkin snipped-for-privacy@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Why buy your stuff?

I am happy with my cheap meters, other Chinese made equipmnet I have so are thousands if not millions others,

Your definition of 'junk' is so vague that your own stuff may fall into it.

A SANE person looks at it case by case. If it works its OK.

Take my Tecsun PL600 radio, it is so good that I would have be proud if I had designed it and build it, but could not have made it for the about 35 (at that time) dollars it was on ebay. You could not have designed it. And my Baofeng,

And my digital mutimeters And my satellite receivers.

Nothing is perfect. Yes the test leads of the multimeters seem to be made of plastic that eventually breaks, But I have 4, so ....

3 for what I payed for coffee and pie plus a tip last week in the city (10 Euro == 10 dollars). You self overrated 'merricans need to produce cheaper and better to compete. Had to repair my washing machine and my dryer several times because the power supply design sucks! Pestering others with sanctions put you on level with the mafia that you really are now war mongering in the world to sell your weapons crap (F35 etc). End of the world? Even the Mafiosi get locked up eventually. Keep asking for it.

Some of your cars are junk, and you know it. Not even mentioning that one made by who was once the richest man in the world... thousands for a battery fix..

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

This is sci.electronics.,design. The people who post here do imagine that they design electronics, even clowns like you. The link you posted wasn't informative at the level you'd need if you wanted to make an informed decision about buying a multimeter, not that you;d know anything about that

But not aware enough top pull out an actual standard that said anything specific.

Sewage Sweeper didn't produce any facts of his own - and never does. When he's exposed to them, he ignores them, but he'd great at recycling the abuse he gets, even when it is totally irrelevant.

You don't sue the manufacturer. You sue the retailer who sold you a device that wasn't fit for the purpose for which it was advertised.

A youtube video is evidence?

Why should I care what some cheapskate idiot bought on E-bay? The device was CE marked, but the camera didn't linger longer to pick up the number of the relevant standard.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Or they bought a better resistor. Until you take it off the board and look at its construction with fairly high tech gear you cant tell what they have done.

If the cheap equipment conforms to the relevant standards - which nobody posting here has identified - it shouldn't be junk.

Sewage Sweeper wittered on about CAT certification, but didn't provide a link to the relevant American underwriter's Laboratory specification.

I pointed out that the Underwriters Laboratory are working to align their nationnal specifications with the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) specifcations, which Chinese manufacturers aiming at internatioal markets might go for.

Sewage Sweeper naturally ignored this point, probably because he didn't understand it.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

No Bozo, it is YOU that doesn't ever produce any facts. You DO produce a bunch of lame excuses why you CAN'T produce the facts, though.

Hey Bozo, look where these meters come from: straight from China.

Fucking YES!

WHY are you posting this bullshit, then? You obviously DO care!

Bozo's Sewage Sweeper

Reply to
Flyguy

The CAT ratings come FROM the IEC, Bozo:

UL is just certifying that the meter conforms to this specification.

BTW, your spelling is getting WORSE, with THREE blunders in ONE sentence.

No, YOU ignored the provenance.

Bozo's Sewage Sweeper

Reply to
Flyguy

This is your repeated claim. It's nonsense, but that doesn't stop you from churning it out.

But where were they bought? You sue the people who sold them to you, not the manufacturer.

For an idiot like you.

You will never know. It's not complicated, but it is more complicated than you could understand, even if you wanted to.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

LOL! Your reply doesn't have ANY facts in it!! Why am I not surprised, Bozo?

Good luck with that sorry plan. Do you have even ONE example where that has been successful, just ONE? I seriously DOUBT IT!

Completely unresponsive, Bozo.

Again, UNRESPONSIVE. It's NOT complicated, but you obviously have no reason.

Bozo's Sewage Sweeper

Reply to
Flyguy

It's standard doctrine. Your contract was with the retailer, not the manufacturer.

I'm supposed to take your idiot delusions seriously?

Nothing looks complicated to Sewage Sweeper - he can't understand anything complicated, so he just ignores it, and dreams up some fatuous delusion that suits his argument.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

I would not lablel my "DT830B"-s as junk, they work well enough. As I wrote, they are accurate. They are small and light. And the measurement ranges are better suited to electronics that many more expensive meters (for example many meters lack

200uA range). I like ranges set by switch and lack of automatic turn-off (so meter does not turn off half into long measurement). Featurewise, I would like separate power switch, but that would be hard to add given compact form factor.

Concerning test leads, when they fail I take new ones, that is minor annoyance. Basically it means that one has to factor cost of replacement leads to price of the meter. Concerning PCB switch, it means that meter is less durable than meters with real switch. OTOH looking at teardowns of various meters I saw no with real switch. Maybe there are some, but I do not expect to get meter with real switch below $60 (or should I write $600?).

To put it differently, for simple measurements I do not see anything better, so why pay more? When I need better accuracy or need more than "DT830B" can do I use better meters (slightly better "DT9205A" or Aneng 8000 series).

BTW: Some folks probably would say that Anengs are "cheap junk", they costed me below $20 per piece. Yet they have resolution better than much more expensive stuff. They look solid and people who tested them say they are solid.

I many cases buying a product is cheapest way to get info if it is worth anything. In bygone era one could relay on brands, but this is no longer the case, one can buy product from expensive brand and get exactly the same junk as cheap one.

Reply to
antispam

I don't understand spending hours to save a few dollars and maybe get something flakey.

Some people are just obcessive about saving money. They clip coupons, search for deals, buy and return stuff.

Fluke and Extech and Rigol are good.

The CenTech meter is almost identical but with a power switch. However, the switch is really small and unreliable. I am thinking about adding an external switch.

I want auto-off after 24 hours. Sometimes, i left it on for days.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Every purchase is on the 'maybe get somethng flakey' basis.

Reliance on brands, for instance, has failure modes.

Well, if it doesn't get returned, the supplier will never know it isn't a good product; that's part of the mass-market's feedback loop on quality control. Participate, or don't expect good quality control.

This week, probably. Past experience, though, says that doesn't have to last forever.

Reply to
whit3rd