Hspice Vs. Spectre which is better ?

Hi All, I am trying to reach to a conclusion on the subject line before I finalise one of them for my new project. I have been a rigorous Hspice user so far and used Spectre now and then. Both the simulators come with their advantages and disadvantages, and this precisely make the choice difficult.

** Biggest advantage of Spectre: a. Tightly integrated within Cadence DFII framework ** Biggest dis-advantage of spectre: a. Seemingly simple tasks like sweeping multiple parameters across corners requires 500 mouse clicks :(, not to mention a license for doing process corner analysis !!! b. The GUI based approach "hides" the different options, specifically related to time stepping .. integration method and stuff

** Biggest advantage of hspice: a. Single license for almost everything except the hspiceRF stuff (phase noise and things). b. Mutiple sweeps across corners a cakewalk

** Biggest Dis-advantage a. Prone to simple netlisting errors.

To me doing a simple thing like:

.dc DATA= sweep monte=30 .alter slow .. .alter fast

is a big headache in Spectre and I have to buy two additional licenses (one for monte carlo and one more for corner analysis)

Lets debate

-- Alex

Reply to
analogweb

Since we have the licenses needed to do corner simulations, I haven't really investigated into their need when running spectre on the command line.HSpice is a command line tool, spectre is IMHO not. spectremdl is an attempt to achieve the same functionality, but the work needed is a bit more. Corners can be done with aliases in mdl and the measurements are a bit clearer in mdl as they resembles the function you would use in ocean. Writing measurements in HSpice is quite tedious, I think.

I am experimenting with ocean from within DFII. This give a very powerful environment. With an enhancement of the ocean-menu posted on this group I can have many simulations in sequence with results saved to different directories which can be easily loaded with the results load function in ADE for use in AWD.

-- Svenn

Reply to
Svenn Are Bjerkem

--