How to unstick center disk of round slide rule?

still

It's

ones

methods to

or

scale

disc).

tell

could

each

each

spacer

how

center=20

nice.

=20

There is some useful dimensional things going on there that are not=20 showing up in that photo. Could you tip them to about 75 degrees and=20 take another shot? Could you measure the dimensions of all the brass=20 pieces and the thickness' of the disk parts?

Reply to
JosephKK

still

nice

talcum powder=20

cleaned with=20

talcum=20

:-(

could=20

=20

corresponding =20

I was not talking about hard core collectors, but more about the = "nouveaux"=20 (more money than brains) collectors. (Know your market)

Reply to
JosephKK

move=20

this=20

ones=20

to=20

pretty=20

put off=20

=20

To a certain extent that depends on how you use it.

Reply to
JosephKK

As I already stated. Dry mold release lube in a spray can. Food grade is the least cumulative.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Forget my suggestion to iron the plastic part flat. With that insert, you can't flatten it out properly and you'll just cause more problems.

--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

Took the calipers to it:

The aluminum base is 0.022" thick, the recess for the center disk (and thus the thickness of the outer plastic ring) is 0.051", the rotating inner disk is 0.040" thick so has some wiggle room for an underlayment. Even up to 0.018" (minus some clearance) because the brass center hub sticks out 0.058" above the aluminum surface.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Professor Hamann has responded and for the warped disk he suggested clamping it between two good sized aluminum plates and then immerse in hot water. He seems to be quite the expert on slide rules restoration.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That might work. But you'll probably need to cut one out to fit your center bushing. And I'd go a step further and machine a stud into one plate to ensure that the disc cools with the bushing C/L held at right angles.

But its good to hear that my 'heat it up' technique isn't totally bogus.

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

It's just the center disk that's bulging up in the middle, the rest of the slide rule is straight.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

So the periphery of that disk is dragging on the alumin(i)um part? Flattening it out might help, but that's going to be tricky with the center bushing. A thin washer that fits around the smaller diameter hub and lifts the center disk a few thousandths might help. And if you can find some Teflon stick on 'dots', you can put a few of these around the outer parts of the recess to keep the plastic disk from contacting the aluminum when you push it around.

Experience is the worst teacher.  It always gives the test
first and the instruction afterward.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

You'd have to use the teflon because the center wheel is sorta floppy. The only way to move it is to press down on it with your thumbs.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

still

time. It's

linear ones

methods to

or

scale

disc).

tell

straight

one

could

each

each

spacer

how

to=20

center=20

will=20

be nice.

diameter,=20

Thank you, a 0.003" PTFE (or maybe the right variation of PET (nylon) or=20 polyethylene) washer will work wonders. Especially if assisted by = silicone=20 lubricant film applied to the aluminum as liquid or spray. Now if i just= =20 knew where to get it, try TAP plastics though.

Reply to
JosephKK

[...]

nice.