How to make a Voltage Controlled Oscillator

But spring of '68? Nope, not buying that one! ;-)

Reply to
krw

FWIW, when I got mine, it was in 1972 or '73.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

11

An official babe-magnet, field proven...that should fetch a bundle on eBay.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

"2001 - A Space Odessy" Came out in April '68 and the 8008 was introduced in April of '72, a full four years later. Sorry, we're not buying your "Daisy Daisy" on the 8008 "shortly after the release of "2001: A Space Odyssey."". ;-)

Reply to
krw

You have to remember that he was in a cloud of pot smoke, that whole time. :(

2001: A Space Odyssey didn't hit the base theater in Alaska until '73 or '74. At about the same time as American Graffiti.
enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Maybe you can't, i still can. I could hear sine tones past 22,000 Hz as = a teen.

Reply to
josephkk

I've had to scrap several SVGA monitors because I could hear the horizontal sweep. :(

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

A Schmitt inverter, 1 cap, and 1 resistor.

Johny Radio, Noise Composer

johnyradio

Sadly, that's just an oscillator, rather than a voltage controlled oscillator.

The VCO in CD4046/MC14046 is about as simple as it gets. You get a few extra components in the package, but you can ignore them.

Voltage-to-frequency converters are even simpler, but tend to be more expensive these days.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Well, if you add another resistor, you'll get a VCO. It won't be linear, but hey... the guy said "simplest"!

I would, of course, take that one step further by reducing the schmitt trigger (which might be, say, 6 transistors for a CMOS) to a pair of transistors, or anything with negative resistance (tunnel diode, neon tube..).

Tim

-- Deep Friar: a very philos>> >

Reply to
Tim Williams