how large to make surface mount pad?

Take this link

Towards the end of the app note, you'll find the EIA recommended pad sizes for each case size

If for some reason that doesn't come up, take the links in this order

Browse by products Capacitors Tantalum TAJ series In the related information area, you'll see a link for 'technical summary and application guidelines'. That should take you to the PDF.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

Hi - I'm making a board with a slightly odd sized part. In it's datasheet there is no reccomendation for pad size - though they do give the size of the contact. (datasheet here:

$file/F3102T520.pdf)

The part is a tantalum in a kemet B case size. The contacts are 2.2x0.8mm. How much bigger should I make the pads? Thanks!

-M. Noone

Reply to
Michael Noone

Check mfrs data, or google for 'IPC Calculator'. The latter references

IPC-SM-782A - Surface Mount Design & Land Pattern Standard

The standard is drawn from typical practice, it did not initially define it.

RL

Reply to
legg

The "B" case size can be matched to a standard EIA case size. The data sheet shows the EIA case size as 3528. This has been a standard case size for SMT tantalums for the past 15+ years. Search for a 3528 footprint on the web. IPC-SM-782A is a good starting place. I like using the recommendations that AVX gives over IPC.

--
Mark
Reply to