How does this SMPS chip keep the core from saturation

Hi

I'm looking at the MAX845 IC:

It is a push-pull forward driver for a center-tapped transformer (see page 5)

It has a flip/flop to get 50% duty cycle, but how do they prevent flux- walking? Is that only done by the on-resistance of the MOSFETs? (higher current leads to more voltage drop - regulating the flux)

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

I took a quick look, and as far as I can tell it's that and the resistance of the transformer winding -- which can problem be relatively significant given the low powers involved.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Pretty much. A way to really combat staircase saturation would be current mode control like on this one:

But usually it's not a huge problem. If EMI is an issue this converter might need a small inductor after the output rectifier. Also, the transformer should be able to handle a small DC load caused by stuff like not quite equal diodes etc. Sometimes people use airgapped cores but I never had to on forward converters.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

The break-before-make action guarantees about 200nS of dead-time per cycle. That's 10% at the 450KHz minimum operating frequency, which I'd think is enough time for a nearly-balanced core to reset, right?

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur