How do I Turn a Hard Switching Cuk into a Resonant Cuk

I have an isolated (transformer) hard switching Cuk converter on LTSpice. I'm trying to figure out how to change it to resonant mode. Do I just add to the parasites for resonance at the clock frequency? My brain exploded trying to figure this out. I think it probably gets more complicated than that.

Any hints?

For ref

D from BC

Google "resonant mode power supply"?

I think you're looking at the wrong resonant mode. In the little work that I've done with resonant mode power supplies, the resonance that was being leveraged was the resonances of the various L's and C's in the circuit. The thing that made them "resonant mode" was that instead of going at a fixed frequency, they would wait for either the zero-current point or the zero-voltage point and turn the switch on or off at that point.

I can't remember _which_ of those two points it was, but the one that I _really_ worked at had some elaborate snubbers on the primary side, so I'm pretty sure it was switching at a zero-voltage point. But, like I said, it's been ages...

The idea is that you reduce switching losses by choosing at least one switching point where there will be almost no loss.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Both the Cuk and Sepic depend on controlled coupling when isolated.

Articles looking at soft switching (which is probably the most you can expect to achieve date from the mid-90s. eg

"The Effect of the Magnetizing Inductance on the Small-Signal Dynamics of the Isolated Cuk Converter" Vorperian

"Soft-Commutated Cuk and SEPIC Converters as Power Factor Preregulators" Spiazzi

RL

Reply to
legg

Thanks. There's just something that kills me with smps development. I do wonder if it's the hardest branch in electronics.

Reply to
D from BC

Not sure what you mean by controlled coupling when isolated. I do know that an ideal Cuk with an isolation transformer functions correctly with leakage inductance = 0. But pop in a real world transformer and a Cuk can ring like a bell.

Thanks for pointers. I'll check'm out.

Reply to
D from BC