how best to get electricity for emergency prepareness

A strange anecdote, from a colleague's friend who is in the NG, and is in New Orleans flying an Apache.

He was rescuing some people off of rooftops and that sort of thing, and some numbskull with a rifle took a pot shot at him. Located the guy, on a bridge, with a bunch of other people around him. He turned the Apache around to train the big guns on the fellow as he was reloading-- the other people shoved him off the bridge to his death so they wouldn't get caught in the crossfire.

I guess that's why _Army Times_ had this headline:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Being a "flashlight freak" I was attracted to your message. Do you know how many watts the new LED bulbs are?

I now own several LED flashlights:

(1) Dorcy (1 watt LED) powered by 3-AAA's. = Good light output

(2) Elements (1 watt LED) powered by 3-AAA's. = Good light output

(1) River Rock (1.5 watt LED) powered by 2-C's. = Good light output

(1) River Rock (1.5 watt LED) powered by 2-AA's. = Good light output

(1) Brinkmann (holds 3 LED's)(LED power unknown) 2-D's - Poor output

The Dorcy was purchased at Target ($24.99) and the Elements were two in a pack for $24.99 at Sam's Club. The new River Rock lights were just purchased at Target ($24.99 and $19.95) .... same as the Brinkmann.

If you wanted to modify, experiment, upgrade, or destroy the

2-D Brinkmann I would be happy to send it to you at Co. 2.

(KM)

To reply to this place (-) between the x and d.

I also have a 10 million candlepower floodlight. We can discuss that another day!

Reply to
poboxdc
  1. Crunch the numbers; a separate car battery doesn't store enough energy to run an inverter for very long. Also, inverters tend to shut off if the input voltage falls below, say, 10V. That protects the battery from discharging, but prevents the inverter running off only a battery for long.

  1. Only obsolete inverters produce a square wave. The current technology gives a modified sine.

  2. The starting current that motors draw is a real issue. The inverters I was reading up on yesterday claimed that they could supply a starting current twice their continuous current. However, I wondered if that was conditional on enough DC current being available w/o drawing down the supply voltage too much.

  1. I was unable to run a stand-up freezer on a 700W inverter, even using a large gauge extension cord, with the car running, and revving the engine. I haven't tried to power a fridge yet.

Reply to
nospam

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 01:01:19 GMT, Rich Grise wrote in Msg.

Ahh, that's what real MEN read:

"This place is going to look like Little Somalia, Brig. Gen. Gary Jones, commander of the Louisiana National Guards Joint Task Force told Army Times Friday as hundreds of armed troops under his charge prepared to launch a massive citywide security mission from a staging area outside the Louisiana Superdome. Were going to go out and take this city back. This will be a combat operation to get this city under control.

[yadda yadda yadda]

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Sounds like an UL. The Apache has a crew of two and can carry zero passengers. The Apache is an attack helicopter, useful for killing people and armor but hardly for pulling people off rooftops.

--
  Keith
Reply to

have

situation

is in

and

on a

Apache

other

caught

Sounds like an UL. The Apache has a crew of two and can carry zero passengers. The Apache is an attack helicopter, useful for killing people and armor but hardly for pulling people off rooftops.

--
  Keith
Reply to
keith

Dah, tell that to all the folks in New Orleans......None of the telephones worked, after the Emergency Generators ran out of fuel at the Telephone Exchanges, and could not be refueled, due to the road system being UNDER WATER.....Cellphones didn't work for the same reasons, and all the Telco Interchanges stopped working that connect the Cellsites. ALL Telecomunications USE POWER, it just may not be needed at the subscriber end. If the infostructure is down, nothing on the subscriber end is going to work either......This makes the event a Disaster, when the basic infostructure is disrupted......

Me

Reply to
Me

Yep, But you do what you can. My home internal wireless phones AND the cell-phone chargers are on UPS; plus I have car charger adapters.

...Jim Thompson