How about it? Experiments of the third kind , take 999999.

On a sunny day (12 Apr 2012 09:41:49 GMT) it happened Jasen Betts wrote in :

the first week...

Look, we KNOW it is SEASONAL. If it is seasonal it should have a full period in a year. If the effect exists. Your 1Hz example versus 50Hz does not look right. If it was a 1Hz sine wave then that 20 ms part would be curved not linear.

I refuse to go into more unfounded mathematical drivel. When the data is here I will have a good look, and decide what to do with it.

My recommendation to mathematical drivlers is: do an experiment yourself. The data, once arrived will be made public and I have no problem with that and anybody jerking themselves of doing mathemagical exercises on it. Just do not require me to believe what you think you find, I will make up my own mind.

Is this politically correct? Who cares.

The professor who did the IQ test and found that blacks had a lower IQ than whites had to step down due to political pressure. If you find a faster than light neutrino and it looks like you had a bad connection you step down as 'scientists?'?

So, regarding past happenings whatever the outcome, some will agree, some will say it was not sensitive enough, some will blame the hardware was shit, some will call it a complot, some do not give a dime, and some will just move on to the next thing, taking this bit of data or experience as knowledge for the next move. I know it is possible to see castles on mars in low resolution pictures, after all the square pixels look like bricks now don't they, and some see cows grazing there, some see Elvis, and some see nothing anywhere. I guess that multiple interpretation issue is a source of ever more publications, comments, and what not ,maybe somebody will run that experiment again some day,

Anyways yesterday I calibrated the clock.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

lleman

failed the first week...

started

eriodic

The one thing I like about Jan's setup is he's kept everything nice and small. That should help keep lots of the systematics down.

If he gets some nice data I'd be tempted to offer to help put in in physics (teaching) labs around the world. Except I don't know how to deal with the tritium lamp issue.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I think it ought to work for determining the half life of tritium to within 5% or so. But I don't think he has a cat in hells chance of showing that the half life of tritium is varying with the seasons by

0.1% or less.

Tritiated lamps or plastics should be available in most countries as self luminous fishing floats and emergency lighting (though not necessarily sold to the general public). I would not have thought a school or college would have any trouble buying them - most have a small lead box of radioactive samples lurking somewhere too.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Well if you scroll down a bit here,

You'll get Theo Gray's take on it.

Too bad really.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

How odd. The threat from tritium beta emission is essentially zero provided you don't break the glass and then miniscule even if you do.

They were a lot more common over here in the 70's & 80's. My friends made self luminous LCD watches with tritium floats in. That was in the good old days when digital watches were actually cool.

One or two high end watches use tritiated luminous materials. Are they also banned in the USA?

Yet another thing you can't do or own in "The Land of the Free"

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

ll

Yeah, but I wouldn't want to breathe the stuff.

Be nice ot have one to play with though, I still wonder if you can see the individual flashes.

It looks like I can buy them as night gun sights. That's very American!

But no fishing lures! We need more lobbying from the National 'Fishing pole' Association. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I doubt it - actually not enough flash from a single decay event.

If you want to see individual flashes with the human eye you want alpha particles which pack a lot more punch and a decent microscope with significant light gathering power and moderate magnification. That was how they measured scattering of alpha particles in the early days.

Any old radium handed watch or WWII aircraft dial will do for this. Also ideal for the DIY cloud chamber experiments described in the 70's SciAm column Amateur Scientist.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

w to

mall

..

Well I was thinking about a PMT looking at the phosphor =91flash=92

According to wiki the average decay energy is ~6keV. If maybe 10% of the energy went into the phosphor, there=92d be ~300 photons/ decay. If I stuck it right in front of a PMT I could maybe catch 1/10 of those?

30 photons should give a decent pulse. But I have no idea if the 10% number is even close. And what=92s the phosphor lifetime? A long lifetime would totally ruin it.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold