Hooking up transistors in LTSpice

See following

"TEMPLATE" is what is used to make a SIMULATIBLE netlist

*symbol MyLMC555 d My CMOS timer [555] @type p 15.7 @attributes a 1 s 9 0 70 8 hln 100 REFDES=U? a 1 sp 0 0 0 0 hln 100 TEMPLATE=X^@REFDES %GND %\TRIGGER\ %OUTPUT %\RESET\ %CONTROL %THRESHOLD %DISCHARGE %VCC @MODEL a 0 sp 11 0 58 100 hlb 100 PART=MyLMC555 a 0 sp 0 0 66 100 hlb 100 MODEL=MyLMC555 @pins p 2 42 88 hln 100 GND n 50 100 v a 0 s 1 0 45 102 hcn 100 PIN=1 a 0 s 0 0 40 100 hln 100 ERC=x p 2 87 42 hrn 100 OUTPUT n 100 40 u a 0 s 1 0 95 38 hln 100 PIN=3 a 0 s 0 0 100 40 hln 100 ERC=x p 2 13 52 hln 100 CONTROL n 0 50 h a 0 s 1 0 5 48 hrn 100 PIN=5 a 0 s 0 0 0 50 hln 100 ERC=x p 2 13 62 hln 100 THRESHOLD n 0 60 h a 0 s 1 0 5 58 hrn 100 PIN=6 a 0 s 0 0 0 60 hln 100 ERC=x p 2 13 72 hln 100 DISCHARGE n 0 70 h a 0 s 1 0 5 68 hrn 100 PIN=7 a 0 s 0 0 0 70 hln 100 ERC=x p 2 40 20 hln 100 VCC n 50 0 d a 0 s 1 0 55 3 hcn 100 PIN=8 a 0 s 0 0 50 0 hln 100 ERC=x p 2 13 32 hln 100 \TRIGGER\ b 0 30 h a 0 s 1 0 5 28 hrn 100 PIN=2 a 0 s 0 0 0 30 hln 100 ERC=x p 2 13 42 hln 100 \RESET\ b 0 40 h a 0 s 1 0 5 38 hrn 100 PIN=4 a 0 s 0 0 0 40 hln 100 ERC=x @graphics 100 100 0 30 10 r 0 10 10 90 90

So sad. But yep.

I could care less. Though I think I probably can. After all I do have a Crapture license.

All I need sent to me is a netlist, I don't need a schematic. Last year I did some IBIS modeling, never once saw a schematic.

You wouldn't know what to do with it anyway ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Romans.

huge :-)

91F right now. ;-) AC's been on for a few days now.
Reply to
krw

5 chords???

That's what I use in a year. At most. And my house is ~5000 sq ft in size and unlike you, I'm located at the 45N parallel.

I guess this comes as a kind of surprise to me because I have to go locate downed trees on my property, cut them and haul them with my tractor up near the house, cut them into still smaller pieces with the chainsaw, then use two 8lb mauls to manually split and then stack the 5 chords each year (I do not use a powered splitter, nor will I until I can no longer work anymore.) I _know_ every single one of those split log pieces my wife or me burns the following year!

How much do you actually burn through in a year? My aching back is curious. ;)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Duh! From M-W:

cord : a unit of wood cut for fuel equal to a stack 4 x 4 x 8 feet or

128 cubic feet

chord : three or more musical tones sounded simultaneously

I use about 1/2 cord a year for "mood" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I use ~100gal of propane for "mood" (and some heat while watching the TeeVee).

Reply to
krw

Thanks, Jim. My brain was thinking one thing, my fingers typing another. Happens. Need the kick once in a while.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Yes, it has to link the model. Either that's or the netlister would have to generate an *.asc file which I would much prefer. Reason is you can point and click to probe a few nodes.

_If_ you are paid up with maintenance you'll get the upgrades. Else not.

Depends on how old that licence is. I think you once wrote that you stopped sending in the maintenance money, and then you get cut off from subsequent releases. In that case you could not generate 16.3 or read that in.

Different field of work from mine.

Huh? I did tons of SPICE sims. In the olden days by literally typing in netlists, nowadays via schematic.

Schematics is better because it lets you set probe points very easily. With the text file I always had to look up nodes and type or copy them into the sim window.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

[snip]

[snip

Running "export/netlist", all I got was a pin list... ducky for PCB's, but useless for simulation.

That's the magic machine no one seems to have cracked... make a schematic from a netlist.

I can create a 15.7 file which 16.3 will read.

Yes. ...Jim Thompson

Yup :-(

I think it could be done. The LTSpice *.asc file looks rather simple. Coordinates for parts, plus begin/end coordinates for wires. It should be possible to generate those verbatim from Eagle by using the same coordinates. One serious issue would be discrepancies in size and pin locations between LTSpice models and Eagle models for the parts. The LTSpice models are often too bulky and ugly for schematics so there's bound to be differences.

It can become a ton of work but for a CAD company it is important to look far into the future. Us older folks only need a schematic editor, a large enough coffee mug and a Weller. Some may also need a large ash tray. Younger engineers are often much less secure, they want to always run sims to see whether their stuff flatlines, oscillates or works. So integration is the name of the game and that's something that Cadsoft hasn't really expanded into the simulator area.

That reverse compatibility will likely end some day. And it won't allow you to correct a client's 16.3 schematic because you are unable to read it in.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yeah, until the sorry squirrel dies of heat exhaustion.

Michael A. Terrell

Phil Hobbs expounded in news: snipped-for-privacy@electrooptical.net:

..

They have been known to work for beer. ;-)

Warren

Reply to
Warren

88º F in Ocala right now, and the A/C has been on for a month.
Michael A. Terrell

That was for a year. About 3000sqft and getting colder every year.

It used to be less than two cords around 2000, and that steadily crept up with the years because winters are becoming colder and most of all longer. When the 4-1/2 cords we had at the beginning of this winter were gone in March I couldn't believe it. Then temps dropped and stayed low most of the time. We ordered five cords this time, one more than last year because I don't believe this AGW stuff. Big mistake, should have ordered at least six cords because we used half a cord of this new delivery already. We get almond orchard wood from far away, so should they call and ask if they can sell us an extra cord to fill the truck I'll gladly take it.

In the late 90's we could hop in the pool end of April, early May. That is a mere dream now, I doubt it'll even happen again. It's probably 50F right now :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yup, that global warming... It's almost noon here... 75°F... should be

100-105°F at this date. ...Jim Thompson

We don't turn it on this time of year unless it's going to be above 90F. It'll run constantly from mid-June through mid-September (and mid-December through February).

Reply to
krw

Neighbors have managed to send the absolute record through their pellet stove this season, four (!) tons. I hadn't thought that was possible.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It's 93 right now, and I have to keep some of my medicine below 86º F. It is 86º F six feet above the floor in my bedroom, right now. The box of medicine is sitting on the floor, in front of the cold air vent and is at 81º F. They don't want it kept in the fridge, so I have to keep one area air conditioned most of the year. Some days it barely kicks on, and others it strains to keep up.

Michael A. Terrell

Okay. I usually go through less than 4, for my house. But we do supplement things with electric blankets over night. 5 is a lot of work to chop. I know. But I keep a big pile of unchopped logs should I need them

It's getting warmer here. But then, I have 55 years of life in this place and can remember almost all of them. Used to be we'd get many, many "snow days" through the winter and almost always had snow around Christmas time. Now, almost never. (I also pulled the records from PDX, going back to when they first started formally recording weather information every day.) Rain, which used to be happening almost every day, just a little, even in summer, is shifting so that about the same annual amount now falls mostly _not_ in the summer. Our 11 glaciers on Mt Hood are nearly 50% gone from what they were 30 years ago. (I've checked with scientists measuring this every year -- there are two.) That is expected to continue.

But this year is unusually cold for this time of year, granted. If you look over the observation data, you will see a significantly weird anomaly chart for the North pole area

-- something I've never seen over the years -- it's almost as though the "circulation cap" has been pushed to sit off-kilter over North America (Canada, especially) leaving the asian/siberia side much warmer than normal. Very odd. I've not seen this be so significantly nudged, as it was in the April average report. I suspect this is at least part of why.

Hmm. So where you are at, this time of year is getting colder. I'll check up on the historical NOAA records for the area, if they have much. Would be interesting to see the trend. Here, where I live there is a very easy to see trend and I have personally lived almost as long as they have been keeping formal records. About 10 years ago, NOAA's PDX station decided to NOT keep snowfall records here anymore (they used to record the inches every day) because there was far too few days to care about, anymore.

Need to look at the global, long term picture, you know.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Full confession: I buy the wood. At $230 a cord I don't want to wear out my back (which unfortunately has a tendency to do that). I sometimes still split up to a cord myself, stuff we get from neighbors that don't want the wood for themselves.

We try not to supplement but there is a little pellet stove running in a downstairs room, goes through a little less than 1/2ton. But that's also gradually increasing and this winter we had to occasionally kick in the propane central heat as well because it was so dang cold. Oleanders that normally thrive around here died off. So did a nice palm tree :-(

Come to Northern California. We had a deluge of snow, you can ask John Larkin for some pics from his cabin. In some areas we had so much snow that the blanket rose scarily close to power lines. That was the first time I've head that kind of warning in the radio.

The glaciers on Mt.Shasta are growing. Maybe Mt.Hood needs a new compressor for the ice maker :-)

Well, this year is extreme but ever since we installed the wood stove over 10 years ago it gradually became colder and the winters longer. Since that affects everyone here this unfortunately also means that firewood prices have inflated quite a bit. In 2000 you could get a cord of hardwood for $170-180. Now the local guys often want $300 and more for mixed so we buy non-local, orchard wood.

I know. But for me long term means thousands of years. And without suppressing inconvenient phases like some "scientists" tend to try :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I do it largely _for_ the exercise. That's part of why I don't ever plan to use a powered splitter until I'm am no longer able. It feels good to keep my arms able to handle two 8-lb mauls, one in each arm and used together. (I also run a 5k each day in just over 30 minutes.)

My property is a northern Oregon rainforest, with lots and lots of 100' trees on it. I don't want for wood. What I do want is garden space with a view to the sun -- which requires clearing and stump removal and so on.

By the way, reminds me. Although I've _some_ experience chopping down trees, last year I took one down that was three feet in diameter and over 100' tall. First time for me for something _that_ big. Chain saw got stuck right at the point where I calculated it should fall, so I ran away quick to wait a bit and see if it went over on its own. It didn't. (Wierd circumstance on this one -- I wanted it to fall uphill and it 'wanted' downhill.) Worked the chainsaw out and decided whether or not I'd risk the last swipe at it. Decided no. Too risky. If it popped and went any way but the precise one I'd hoped for, I'd be in big danger. So let it sit. I think it was 3 days later -- heard a loud POP while in the house and knew instantly that the brisk wind and done the work for me. When I went out there, the tree lay down exactly where I'd wanted it. Within inches I think. Took me a hard day chopping that up and hauling it to the house on the tractor.

Our house has central oil heating. (You pretty much can't sell [or buy] a house without central-something.) Pretty much avoid it, but it does rarely get turned on.

I saw his pictures! Or, at least, some of them. (Thanks, John.) And yes, it's definitely been colder I think out there, lately.

I am not sure I accept that. I did look, a year back or so, when the subject came up here. There isn't much on the subject, sadly, so I didn't write to agree or disagree. Just don't know. But I don't trust newspapers for my science, either.

Mass balance is tricky to measure and requires substantial effort. Not sure if northern CA has had the need before and I certainly know that the scientists I work with on the Cascade range are NOT studying mass balance for northern CA mountains.

There are satellites doing surface area work. But it isn't all that good to know what's happening. Light dusting of snow doesn't mean much. In any case, there is a database that covers almost all the glacier systems on Earth, based upon several sources and not just satellite data, and almost all of them are in retreat. I forget the exact percentage but the number that was growing was very close to 0.1% last time I checked. Might be that Shasta is in that elite group.

The Cascades, at least from here north, are in just the right mix of gravel plus snow for maximum melt rates. Clean glacier ice reflect the light. Heavy rock cover over ice insulates it from the light. But dirty ice picks up some sun and speeds the melt. This describes a lot of the situation here. So they are melting perhaps a little faster here than elsewhere. I haven't looked up any comparative studies, this only comes from casual conversation with those two scientists I referred to earlier.

Hehe. Well, I know about the work involved, so I don't blame them their prices. I'd charge you more! The alternative for this house, though, is many, many thousands of dollars on oil

-- prices are pretty high right now! And the US dollar ain't looking to get much better looking, right now. Glad I invested in gold at $720/oz!

Well, I won't bicker with you. Been down that path and see no point. We just disagree for now. You'll change your opinion soon enough. Time and facts are on my side. I can sit back and wait you out with ease.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan