homeland security

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing precision measurement

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com

Is it surprising that a Democrat administration's Department of Homeland Security would be involved in a panty raid? At least they can accomplish something.

Reply to
krw

They did the Arab extremists a favor...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Raids on illegal goods are common in urban areas. San Francisco at the wharf or Chinatown, NYC on Canal Street, etc. The raids are done by Customs, which is a part of Homeland Security.

Raids of knockoffs are commonplace. I'm not sure why anyone would think something nefarious is happening other than law enforcement.

Surely you have seen these on the bay area news? Here is some random hit:

Reply to
miso

It does seem a bit weird that in the "land of the free" you can copyright two letters KC in such a way that no-one else can use them!

And even stranger that homeland security would enforce copyright law!

In a similar vein Microsoft had a go in the UK at suing the UK store Marks&Spencer for copyright infringement over its microsoft sheer tights. They didn't get very far with that one - laughed out of court.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

You said it. We now have Soviet-style interior ministry police. :(

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

nah Soviet style would be something to protect the state,

This is taxpayer money being to used for something that should be a civil case between to businesses

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

The real question is what they did with the panties.

Destroy them?

Keep for prosecution evidence?

Give them to their wives?

Wear them themselves?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

So was it OK when Customs enforced the law, but calling it Homeland Security is a problem? A rose is a rose ya know.

Reply to
miso

Customs will seize the goods. I see no other way to prevent knock offs from being sold. It isn't like the goods are immediately destroyed. Rather they get to show that they licensed the product or not.

Reply to
miso

Customs used to seize goods at the border only. Coming busting into somebody's shop like a Keystone version of Starsky & Hutch is quite another matter. The administrative tyranny we live under is quite a show sometimes.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Customs has been raiding in urban areas for at least thirty years. You act as if Obama started the trend.

Here is a report of a Chinatown raid during the Bush II administration:

Of course, GW Bush was quite the tyrant. Here is one from 1991. That would be under the tyrant George HW Bush:

Seriously, haven't you learned never to argue with me. ;-)

Reply to
miso

You forgot...sniffing them gives fantastic highs!

Reply to
Robert Baer

There has got to be some missing information here. A Homeland Defense raid over garments?

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Actually, the team logo on the back of the panties is quite a clever pun.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Protecting us from panties!

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Customs => DHS Secret Service => DHS FEMA => DHS INS => DHS ICE => DHS TSA => DHS Coast Guard => DHS

Reply to
krw

Did I mention Obama? You're arguing with yourself.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Customs got subsumed into DHS.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Ahem: " The administrative tyranny we live under is quite a show sometimes.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

The key phrase here is "we live under", which implies present time. The current POTUS is Obama, hence you mentioned Obama.

Or in other words, you lose again.

Reply to
miso