Homebrew HV hiZ scope probe

Then wrapped even tighter by a Chinese handcuff overbraid of silver plated copper shielding. So tightly it makes a deep fingerprint impression of the overbraid onto the core media. It doesn't just slide off either.

Reply to
Sum Ting Wong

On a sunny day (Tue, 30 Oct 2012 20:39:44 -0800) it happened Robert Baer wrote in :

Well I just order it from conrad.nl, several types at several Ohm/meter, some VERY thin. I have used it to make thermocouples. I am sure US has many places that sell that wire. Yes the inner coax does not always come out easy, I have done it, put one end in the vice, and take an hour to pull it out. Use gloves, hurt my hands doing it...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It comes on spools- manganin is better than nichrome, but nichrome isn't all that bad. In a pinch, brass or stainless are pretty awful tempco-wise, but relatively high resistance.

These guys have 25m lengths of it with Kapton insulation:-

If you need many pounds/kg of it, it's easy to buy.

Except for cable TV coax where it seems pretty easy to pull out (esp accidentally).. the dielectric is slippery PE, I think, and the center wire a thick smooth solid wire. But it's awfully stiff for test prod wire.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

On a sunny day (Wed, 31 Oct 2012 04:39:51 -0400) it happened Spehro Pefhany wrote in :

The satellite cables (to the LNB) also have single core, and mine are flexible (those are the ones with the F-type? connectors you just screw over the folded back screen / outside plastic, inner solid core is the 'pin').

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Does Tektronix or HP list the vendor in their parts list? They do for most parts.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Good suggestiin the P6106 manualon, but no luck. Tektronix lists itself as manufacturer of most parts, cable included. Interestingly, it lists the cable as '39 ohm' cable. The resistance of the central conductor of a 1m P6106 cable is about 130 ohms. The geometry of the cable suggests a Z0 much higher than 39 ohms, so I don't know what this is supposed to mean.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Hmmn. Maybe 39ohms/ft (series resistance)?

Reply to
Frank Miles

How asking someone who makes probes?

Michael A. Terrell

P6015 manual describes the cable as "50 ohms per foot".

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Not in the P6015 manual.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

The Tek probes used 100meg resistors in the probe head, with a 100K effective load in the termination unit. Much more tractable to compensate. Any reason for going to 1000meg in your design?

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

1/10 th the circuit loading.
Reply to
tm

out.

Gloves? Like hell. Use a mandrel (or a dowel rod).

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Copper clad steel rather frequently, no good for broadband resistivety. But that is what you pull out.

I would likely as not try to pull in constantan (perhaps nicked from thermocouple wire).

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

What was the code name for the coax with the helically wound insulation, leaving mostly air as the dielectric? You might stand a chance replacing the center conductor on that stuff.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

I've known it as "heliax".

Reply to
krw

RG/62U 93 Ohm, about 3/8" and fairly stiff.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Ah yes, exactly. I still get caught sometimes when some engineering outfit doesn't use metric throughout.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Yes, and it would be even harder to do that job as the elements that suspend the center conductor would get trashed on the removal, and then the replacement would no longer be "at the center", especially when you bend, form, or use the cable.

The 'heliax' is an integrated structure, and breaking the bonds holding the center will mean the replacement can move about however it gets pushed. Not good.

Reply to
Sum Ting Wong

Use coax with a high tensile steel core weld a piece of nichrome wire to the other end first

you may have to ripple it off, like how a caterpillar walks. the outer is elastic, but the core is not,

probably a few hour's work plus gettign the welds made (perhaps by a jeweler?)

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts