Home lab suggestions?

Yes, this works well as a permanent or semi permanent system. The ease I was refering to is that you don't need to construct anything to do it with and existing radio.

[....]

That sounds like overkill. Any cheap 2 channel scope would have done the job. One nice thing about the method is that it seems very natural to tune something to make a scope picture hold still. It is easier than looking at a number while tuning.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

That wasn't the only job that i did at my bench. The others required at least three channels, and all the bandwidth available. I had the best scope in the board and module test department.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

A word of caution on drill presses. Cost is no guarantee of quality. The real test is: does it drill accurately sized holes both large and small? It is a sure bet that it won't if you can check up a small bit and the bit wobbles visibly.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

Read the thread. I suggest jumping right into building kits. I did as a kid with far far less. I don't have nearly that much now. Also, i would look into USB based microcontroller and CPLD/FPGA experimenter kits. About $100 for kit of each type.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

In message , dated Sun,

6 Aug 2006, joseph2k writes

Yes, you need to check the chuck, Chuck, and if it's off-centre, chuck it!

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

Chuck, even a good chuck won't correct a crap spindle.

--
  Keith
Reply to

What about some chemicals and glassware. That can be fun too.

I was turned on to chemistry when my father mixed some vinegar and sodium carbonate. Then you can do some electrolysis, Make Hydrogen with zinc and HCl (add a small crystal of Copper sulphate) add water to a mixture of Magnesium powder and Silver nitrate (Careful with this experiment - use very small quantities indeed) Then of course there are more conventional things lke gumpowder. Copper sulphate solution with a drop of ammonia is impressive too.

Reply to
richard mullens

Don't use the same one for electronics as wood working. You what they say about a wood chuck.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

"How much wood would a wood chuck chuck, if a wood chuck could chuck wood?"

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Somehow the ham radio gear got left off of this list. Best way in the world to get a hands-on feel for electronics.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

In message , dated Tue, 8 Aug 2006, "RST Engineering (jw)" writes

Nah. The boy will get a 'feel' for a nice YL on 2 metres and lose all interest in electronics. (;-)

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

I found a nice YL on 2m and made an XYL out of her {;-)

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

;-) Amazing how time flies when you're having fun... my XYL will turn

65 on Saturday.

...Jim Thompson

Or, as Kermit noted, time's fun when you're having flies. My XYL is KB9MII. Yours got a ticket?

Jim WX6RST (was, WB6BHI)

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Not anymore. My ticket was K7ZAE but I let it lapse around 1970. I can't remember what my wife's was.

...Jim Thompson

I even remember my X-XYLs call. KC6QBV -- the Quiet Blonde Virgin. One out of three ain't bad.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

I lucked out on the first try, been married for almost 47 years!

...Jim Thompson

I did the first one for 25 years, just to see if I liked it. THis one is now 10 going on forever.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Maybe she's just staying married with you for your money, Jim!

Just kidding. :-)

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

For my charming personality ;-)