Hole in SMD pad?

0805

ng an

You can put the via right on the edge of the pad, but make sure the hole is beyond the pad. Tent all the vias, which means they are dropped out of the solder mask artwork. Then there are no soldering issues and no long trace issues. If your layout package doesn't support tenting vias, it can be done manually by deleting that d code and flashes from the gerber file for the solder mask. Then check it with software like Viewmate before ordering the board.

Reply to
Jim Stockton

Yes, but you cant usefully soldermask a via which goes through an SMD pad.

Reply to
Adrian Jansen

Lots of people have given you the correct advice here. However if you want to go googling, the correct term is "via in pad" which for some reason no one has said.

Colin

Reply to
colin_toogood

On Mon, 6 Jun 2016 09:14:08 +1000, Adrian Jansen Gave us:

No. You mask a pad that goes NEAR an SMD pad. If you were to mask one that goes 'through' an SMD pad, you would be masking off some of a pad meant to attach a part.

I am sure that would make for an interesting stencil as well.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Generally true, except for large thermal pads where multiple vias are required, where a soldermask grid isolating the vias and dividing a large pad into multiple smaller pads can be a cost effective way to avoid solder wicking down vias and also help reduce voiding by providing shorter gas vent paths.

This technique would likely work well even with toaster oven assembly.

Glen

Reply to
Glen Walpert

My software (sprint layout) doesn't have a via, so I'm playing around with a square pad and through hole.

Right now I have it as a 30 mil square and 15 mil hole but what's a typical size and how small can I get away with without a problem when being fabricated?

Reply to
mkr5000

On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 13:08:12 -0700 (PDT), mkr5000 Gave us:

You'd be better off using Linux and one of their free EDA packages.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

15 mil is a bit conservative. I often see 13 mil holes minimum for low cost board fab houses. The annular ring is usually measured by the width (think radius rather than diameter). 15 mil hole and 30 mil pad gives 7.5 mil pad which is better than the common 7 mil minimum at the low cost board fab houses.
--

Rick C
Reply to

I generally stay away from vias in pads at all costs but here are some tips if you feel you must:

papabear546

Superfast stuff like my fave BFP640 really needs via-in-pad, preferably two or three of them. It's a 40-GHz transistor, and an extra nanohenry in the emitter lead makes a big difference. (1 nH is 63 ohms at 10 GHz.)

(1 pF and 1 nH make a parallel resonance at 5 GHz. Also a cause of endless fun in debugging oscillations.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I touch various nodes with a pencil or the tip of a tiny screwdriver. If anything changes, something is probably oscillating.

I recently did a diff pair with a couple of BFS17s, and it didn't oscillate! I might try something faster.

lunatic fringe electronics

*gasp* ;)

BFP640s with those nice little Murata BLM18BB005 beads in the base lead are pretty stable up to about 5 or 6 mA I_C.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

--
Or, perhaps, was OK before you threw that pencil or tiny screwdriver
monkey wrench into the works? I'm constantly amazed at the effort you

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 11:40:32 -0400, Phil Hobbs Gave us:

Good point. How much different do they behave when solder filled or left empty?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Not a lot, I expect, though I haven't tried measuring it. The inductive reactance is way bigger than the resistance of even an empty via.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

When inductance to ground matters, we'll usually dump a pour around the lead and drive multiple vias to the layer 2 ground plane, or use multiple caps. My production people won't give me pizza if I put vias in pads.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Sometime you should try filled vias. Your production people shouldn't have any trouble with them. They cost but you don't do millions a year. You'd probably not notice the cost.

Reply to
krw

I haven't needed it so far. We have put some vias in pads, mostly for heat sinking powerpad parts, but not so many/so big that we get solder stealing. Copper fill might be nice, epoxy not so much. If the heat transfer path is layer 1 to 2, it's a pretty short hop and fill might not help much. Side-to-side would benefit more.

I generally avoid exotica unless there's a big payoff.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Solder fill works.

I'm suggesting that you try it before you need it. It should be pretty easy to do a test site on one of your boards. Get the production guys used to it so they don't revoke your annual bonus. We do the same with ours (0201 parts, .5mm BGAs, etc.).

Reply to
krw

OK, I guess I might ask at least. What I really want to do next is some fast circuits on kapton flex.