Hide your sulphuric acid (2023 Update)

Dear fellow terrorists,

Per the European regulation 2019/1148, available here, page 16:

"List of substances which are not to be made available to, or introduced, possessed or used by, members of the general public, whether on their own or in mixtures or substances that include those substances, unless the concentration is equal to or lower than the limit values set out in column 2, and for which suspicious transactions and significant disappearances and thefts are to be reported within 24 hours"

HNO3 in concentrations above 3% (old news) H2SO4 in concentrations above 15%.

And, further:

"List of substances on their own or in mixtures or in substances for which suspicious transactions and significant disappearances and thefts are to be reported within 24 hours"

*Acetone*, Potassium Nitrate, Sodium Nitrate, Calcium Nitrate.

The regulation will have been effective by February.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Sulfuric acid has been difficult to buy privately where I live since as long as I can remember. As a work-around, people buy lead-acid car batteries, take the lids off and turn them upside down over a bucket to get the acid out, and then throw away the empty battery part. The acid will presumably be contaminated with lead, but would suffice for some purposes. When I was young I needed sulfuric acid to make copper plating solution, and got some from an old car battery.

The problem with having unconventional hobbies, is that there is nothing to stop people from banning the things you require. I'm sure that if these things were necessary in order to play golf, they would be perfectly acceptable.

Reply to
Chris Jones

Yes, acetone:

.

Also known as TATP (Tri Acetone Tri Peroxide). A terrorist favorite.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

148&from=pl

are

Isn't there a scene in The Martian where they make a pipe bomb using sugar and electricity...granted in zero gravity, but the sugar just has to be airborne, and I can think of several easy ways to do that and I'm sure everyone here can think of dozens more.

Dust bombs can be exceedingly explosive so lock up the flour, etc...

Of course chemical bombs can be made easily with the above components, and I'd say terrorists will have some access to people who can make the ingredients if needed. So it still boils down to identifying the terrorists and suppressing them. Not to mention making the civil society

one where they can't and won't flourish.

John :-#(#

Reply to
John Robertson

On a sunny day (Sun, 17 Jan 2021 16:20:13 -0800) it happened John Robertson wrote in :

In highschool the teacher in chem classes had us split some water in H2 and O by running some 'trikcety through it, then made soap bubbles with it that floated in the auditorium, and had us detonate those with a match, You soon learn the blast does not go up linear with the bubble size, the big bubbles were dangerous :-) Next experiment was he used a steel pipe with a sparkplug and a cork, filled it with the gas, He shot the window of some cabinet with glassware in the back of the auditorium with it once. I would find a place just a few rows back, felt safer..

Water and 'trickety is all ye need.

The other one had us calculate critical mass etc... That first teacher got in trouble once on newyears eve when the fire brigade was called to the school when people did see huge clouds emerge from the building, his fireworks....

Acetone??? nail polish remover? My father made plastic glue by melting some plastic in acetone.

There are even simpler and faster ways to make a big blast, better not mention those here else .. also gets forbidden. Kryptonite not on the list?

Suppressing large parts of the population with silly lockups, creates a back force.

gov has already fallen here, opposition wants more lockdowns though,

And these days any kid with the 'create your own monster DNA box' can make some mRNA in a few hours that then is injected in the population by the idiots voted into power by majority,, Pfizer stuff, hey it mRNA, crosses the blood brain barrier, so that is a clear reason why all the spasms people get from that vaccine.

But that 'create your own monster DNA box' availabe for everybody over 10 years old for 9$99 in every toy shop ....... maybe it turns out it was little Johnny who did the covid thing, if not now then later! Its all too easy.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I don't know how it is in Dutchland but you see, the irony about America is the American people threw away so many of their constitutional rights during better times in the name of security and "patriotism." See also, USA Patriot act.

Fourth Amendment against unreasonable search and seizure has been quietly ripped to shreds for 40 years...

Yep, whenever times seemed good Americans could be counted on to let the government put a big boot up their ass for little good reason other than fear. And then naturally the one time restricting rights is probably a good idea bunch of people freak out about it. Like where were these freedom-lovers all the other times? Oh right they were demanding the Bush administration get tough on turrizm and put police up everyone's ass. Well I guess you get what you pay for.

Reply to
bitrex

What was that story about like the Oregon society of PEs trying to get a dude banned from designing and selling his own electronics because he didn't have an "engineering license" to design and sell his own electronics?

That was hilarious.

Reply to
bitrex

cs?

t-together-even-for

?People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public , or in some contrivance to raise prices.? Adam Smith.

Engineers, and other professionals, frequently conspire to freeze out compe tition by insisting that their competitors have to get some kind of license .

The argument is that unlicensed con-artists will sell cheap rubbish that wo n't work well and endanger the people who buy it and use it.

The downside is that licensed con-artists will sell over-priced, gold-plate d antique designs that cost more than they should to do the job, and don't do it as well as a modern designs using the latest techniques.

Medical practitioners are probably the worst offenders, but their customers are particularly vulnerable to confidence tricksters - as in fringe medici ne.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

In some states, you can't call yourself an engineer unless you're an official PE.

And some states even allow coders to call themselves engineers!

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin

Do you live in india, where all the battery acid is used up on peoples faces?

motorcycle batteries frequently ship dry here, and you add the acid which is shipped separately. Not sure about the history for this. Maybe car batteries are too heavy to accidentally flip over during shipping?

The lack of possibly the most widely produced chemical in your are is odd.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

No, Australia.

Businesses can buy it, though they are then subject to workplace health and safety laws and at least for some chemicals, they need to apply for a licence and pay recurring "licence fees" (we don't call them bribes here).

It is generally easier to ban stuff here because there is basically no manufacturing industry and the only materials commonly used are those required in building or installation work that can't be done in a factory overseas.

Reply to
Chris Jones

Am 19.01.21 um 04:26 schrieb Chris Jones:

Pb batteries start to age when the acid is added. There is no danger of deep self discharge with sulfurication (sp?) as long as they are dry. If they are deep discharged you can only recycle them, they won't draw any current when trying to charge.

Dry batteries on the shelf + acid pack are usual here in .de. That can't be done with hermetic gel batteries.

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

most if not all automotive batteries here are the "sealed" aka throw them away like primary batteries if anything goes wrong type. The last battery I saw with fill caps was for an airplane.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Mo left some lights on in her Fit. The battery was zero volts. I bought a battery charger at an auto parts store and it would not charge the battery; I think that's a scam to sell batteries.

I charged it with a 1-amp lab supply for a few hours and it started up. That battery lasted for another 3 or 4 years.

I have a 4A Arlec charger I fitted with a charge control circuit from an Australian kit - Aussies here will know which kit. That doesn't start unless it sees about 9V on the output - because the control circuit is powered from the output. It means that the leads are short-circuit safe, which I like.

When attached to a really dead battery, I just crocodile-clip a small

12V SLA in parallel to kick start it. That usually only takes 30 seconds before charge is established and you can remove the SLA.

CH

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I use a R&S NGK 25V/2A lab power supply to charge my Pb batteries. :-) It simply delivers.

A Pb battery is not necessarily dead if you discharge it to 0V, it needs to be some time in that state. Then large PbSo4(?) crystals grow on the negative plate and they reduce the available surface by a huge factor from the sponge-like structure that there used to be. If you force-feed it or abuse it mechanically, some whisker crystals may fall off and collect in the swamp below the plates. That may even cause a short circuit. The reduced surface makes sure that the max current is reduced in proportion.

On my motorcycle, I once forgot to switch off the GPS, then i had no time to drive for a month. Finally, a weekend in the French alps!

I switched the engine on... nothing. Nothing at all. I used power from my car to start the engine in the hope that after 400 Km it would be recharged. My R1200/Adv has a 750 Watt generator.

I drove the A81 through Southern Germany from Stuttgart, through Switzerland to La Chapelle D'Abondance in the French Alps.

Switched off the engine for a phone call to the hotel, could not restart. I carried my luggage to the hotel which was only 1 Km away. Next morning, I started it with external power and drove to BMW Annecy. Quite some way.

Driving is much more fun if you don't know that you're dead in the water if you happen to kill the engine.

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

That's what I did IIRC. Used and almost dead 12v bat to get things started.

Reply to
gray_wolf

It's an idiotic design, a battery charger that won't charge a battery.

Current limiters do exist.

Yeah you need to buy cheap charges at harbor freight. I bought one there years ago (~20) and it's still working great. I haven't measured any current numbers but it always tries to put out something into my deadest batteries. (I've got several vehicles with only occasional use... well and one for which the generator is only used as a fan belt tensioner. :^) And so needs charging once or twice a month in the summer.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I agree with this. It's clearly a racket across the board to sell more batteries, of all types. Even power tools makers love that move.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader