HELP With Step-Down Transformer and Converter

No.

The 12 volt battery I was referring to is *made* of 6 pcs of 2 volt cylindrical lead acid gel cells. I think it may be easier to find a 12 volt battery of 6 cells than to find the individual 2 volt cells.

If you use a shunt + millivoltmeter, then for the AC setup the millivoltmeter must be AC responding; for the DC setup the millivoltmeter would have to be DC responding. This millivoltmeter could be a hand-held DVM, such as a "Fluke" meter.

If you want a self-contained ammeter (no shunt, in other words), it would be the clamp-on type, and those are pretty much all AC responding.

This would be for the AC setup (on the primary of the transformer); for the DC setup the breaker(s) will also serve as the safety disconnect.

This would be for the AC (3000 amp) setup. For the DC setup, you might want a

1000 amp shunt. If you can live with the reduced resolution, you *could* use a 5000 amp shunt in your DC setup; just switch the millivoltmeter from AC responding to DC responding.

This could be a hand-held DVM, such as those made by Fluke, or any other similar unit.

Or three 250 amp breakers in parallel, or some other combination that adds up to 750 amps (all the same, of course), if you can't find a 750 amp breaker.

The individual 2 volt units are properly referred to as "cells"; when you connect a number of them together, you have a battery (of cells). The 12 volt battery is properly referred to as a battery of 2 volt cells, so the connection is AC outlet>>>>charger>>>Cell #1>>>Cell #2>>>etc.>>>Cell #6. If you got the cells already wired up as a 12 volt battery, you just rewire it that way to charge.

The breaker *is* the switch. The shunt is in series after the breaker and the millivoltmeter is connected to the small screws on each side of the shunt--the meter connection points. Like this:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _Cir.Breaker_ _Shunt_ _ | | | | | Cell#1 Cell#2 Cell#3..........Cell#6 | |_ _ _ _ _ |_ _ _ _ _|_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _|_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _|

The piece of wire that conpletes the connection from the right side of the shunt and comes back to the bottom connection to the 6 cells is what determines how much current there will be. That's the piece that I said should be about 8 feet of 2/0 (that's pronounced "two aught") cable.

If you get a 12 volt battery made of Gates cylindrical cells, the "wires" that connect the cells together will be straps of plated copper. They will be very easy to get at. If you get a 12 volt battery with a "rectangular" shape, the individual cells will not be accessible without destroying the battery. The individual Gates cells are readily visible and accessible in the type of battery I'm recommending. To wire th cells in parallel you need to use very heavy copper conductors. You could get copper tubing at the hardware store, say 3/8" and cut off appropriate lengths, flatten the ends with a hammer and drill holes to connect to the cells.

Right. But the 2 volt cell voltage will drop when they are shorted. I don't know exactly how much, but the voltage will drop more or less linearly along the length of the cable. For some length the voltage drop will be .9 to 1.5 volts.

Well, it would be pulsed DC all right!

I'm going to try to email you. If the email address in the header isn't going to reach you, can you post one that works? You could always go get a throw-away hot mail or yahoo account for this purpose. If you post a real email address that you don't want to get spammed, don't forget to disguise it, say with alternate spaces between letters or some such.

DC setup, and

the

You won't get

create. The

"transformer

lead acid

I recommend

It's more

while the

happened to me as a

and try to

hot wires burn

everything

connected to one

recommending

current on and

the current

you must

breakers;

making

metal which will

the point of

while making

circuit. This is

energized

or breaker.

avoid serious

wrong.

the safety

described, you

the primary

high current

to provide a

it's not

when you're

are often

extra switch

transformer and

can put out a

accidentally when

hundreds of

high currents

terminal(s) of

wrench across

fireworks

sensitive ampmeter you suggested.

tip,

soldering.

electricute the user holding the lead?

setup. It's just

secondary. If you

bolt-on

volts open

voltage isn't

therefore be about

400 amps can

soldering. It takes

volts,

voltage than

skin). Only a

soldering gun can

current.

include what are

most common

and the big

together on your

else strikes

watch, your TV

get close to

even hold a

your wallet.

coming into your

but Murphy's

Reply to
The Phantom

Dear Phantom,

My email address is: snipped-for-privacy@i-manila.com.ph

Thank you very much for your help.

Gene

Reply to
gene

I sent you email. You should get it anytime now. Let me know here if you don't.

Reply to
The Phantom

Note that in this picture, the circuit breaker is not fully protecting your circuit. If a short develops in any of the battery wiring on the left, there will be much fire and sparks. The circuit breaker won't notice.

This is aside from the slightly dubious practice of paralleling cells. What happens if one cell shorts? A: More fire and sparks.

Is it possible to use a single larger battery or cell, rather than doing the above?

Mike Brown: mjb[at]pootle.demon.co.uk | http://www.pootle.demon.co.uk/
Reply to
Mike

This same thing is true of a 12 volt battery of Gates cells as purchased (sometimes they come with a plastic cover to protect the strapping from accidental contact). As I remarked to the OP, if you're working on your car and drop a wrench across the battery terminals, fireworks result. It's not possible to have absolute protection from every possible mishap.

It's the optimum thing for what the OP wants to do, cost wise and hassle wise. It will be for a short term experiment, and since it's only slightly dubious, no problem.

What happens in a big 2 volt golf cart cell if a short occurs between a pair of opposite plates? The rest of the plates in the cell drive a large current through the short. How shall we protect against this? If a cell shorts internally, it will probably be through a separator, and the short will blow out, without fire and sparks.

Then, as I implied, he would have to have a charger suitable to charge a single 2 volt lead-acid cell. And such a cell would cost a lot more, expecially if he can find a Gates battery surplus. The telephone companies regularly sell off those batteries; they use them in the central offices for a few years, then dump them. They've usually got a lot of life left.

Reply to
The Phantom