Hardwire PC soundcard "microphone boost" setting

Hello René,

No idea. But in my experience whenever I tried something via the command line it didn't take long until the offending program "corrected" it.

Could you share with us how good this conferencing stuff works? Does it also work when the folks on the other side use another application?

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hi All,

Probably not entirely on topic here, but it is my opinion the brightest minds in design just happen to lurk here.....

(and hoping to thus have put you in a favorable state of mind:)...

I have a Video Conference program that actively switches the soundcard microphone boost (or "+20 dB" whatever) off. I can set it "on", but the VC program switches it off again abruptly. It's a bug in de VC software I cannot change, nor does the supplier feels like doing it anywhere soon.

As a result the mike sensitivity is way too low.

Is there any application, command line, program (e.g. in startup), that makes the microphone boost stay on no matter what commands come in?

PC: 1.66 GHz Athlon, running XP, C-Media sound on board. Offending program: Polycom PVX

TIA!

--
 - René
Reply to

"the other side "

sounds like a good name for a TV series about the soopernatural

martin

Opinions are like assholes -- everyone has one

Reply to
martin griffith

Make your own mic preamp and connect it to the line input instead. The mic pres in most soundcards ( esp onboard sound ! ) are shit anyway.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

It works remarkably well. Less than 2 years ago the only way to do reliable VC was using an expensive dedicated codec costing as much as a good family car, connected trough up to 3 BRI ISDN lines.

Now I find that a fair PC + an USB2 webcam does a credible full screen VC job over BW > 256 Kb/s over IP, even across continents. SW endpoints like e.g. Econf, PVX or Vcon Vpoint have matured along with the QoS state of IP connections. And work with various dedicated codecs (Tandberg, Sony, Aethra, Codian -to mention a few I tried myself)

Most solutions adhere to H323 standards and usually interoperate quite adequately. SIP is also on the rise. Most issues nowadays are with firewall traversing, but that too can be solved.

Interesting:

For better quality (+ eye contact) we make this for a customer:

See you! :-)

--
 - René
Reply to

That's what I choose to do indeed, a one transistor phantom power (from PC) fed preamp that fits the original mike housing. Works a dream. In the end it took less time than posting all these messages :-)

Thanks all the same!

--
 - René
Reply to