google now sucks

Their stupid ugly search page animation uses 40% of my CPU!

Their "advanced search" page doesn't. Bing and Yahoo home pages are light loads.

 Click to see the full signature

Mucho mejor:

I have hung up on Google many years ago, back when they allowed spamming NGs. Never looked back.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Google has too many false positives. I use duckduckgo, but I believe it is getting data from Bing.

Reply to
miso

Yeah, I remember that. It sometimes nagged me to no end. Lots of links where the entered search terms could not even be found one single time.

I just tried both on a search I had to do yesterday. They find fairly similar links but it is not a 100% match. Maybe 80% and in different order. Bing also tends to put globalspec links up top which are typically not useful for me. Duckduckgo doesn't do that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

How about dogPile ?

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Same database but I suppose a different search engine.

They have a very minimal version of duckduckgo:

You don't even get the duck!

Reply to
miso

[...]

But it quacks, so it is a duck :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Sat, 23 Nov 2013 13:03:22 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

I thought you had multicores?

man taskset

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Who are you and anybody else around here to complain? Wasn't it only a few months ago when you and the others around here were applauding the story ab out Google in effect *lowering* their hiring standards by eliminating the " trick questions" and the requirement for excellent academic background? Tra sh in gets you trash out, so live it and another great company being destro yed by mediocre sleaze workers.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

On a sunny day (Sun, 24 Nov 2013 08:43:40 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje wrote in :

Actualy I have had animated gifs off for a long time in the browser. That way they only display once.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Reply to
John S

NoScript stops the google nonsense. Not using google does, too.

 Click to see the full signature

The local damage that Google is doing is the scores of huge double-decker white busses that are swarming the narrow streets of our residential neighborhoods in San Francisco, picking up and dropping off overpaid hipster geeks who have bid up the cost of an efficiency apartment to over $3K/month.

 Click to see the full signature

Also worth installing...

asdf

ew months ago when you and the others around here were applauding the story about Google in effect *lowering* their hiring standards by eliminating th e "trick questions" and the requirement for excellent academic background? Trash in gets you trash out, so live it and another great company being des troyed by mediocre sleaze workers.

white

ods in

e bid

But isn't this good for the local economy?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

It is good for Oakland and Berkeley. People have been leaving SF in droves for the East Bay.

The problem is it is tough for SF employers to hire people since the housing cost is high. Oakland and Berkeley to SF are a short hop on BART.

Reply to
miso

I was looking around the area of San Mateo, it looks spectacular on google street view. Aside from being pricey, what kind of neighborhood is that?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I lived in Palo Alto for over 50 years, and San Mateo always seemed to be a decent area. What i do not know is if they went the same BS way concerning traffic violations, namely all via camera and every place has a DIFFERENT, ex$pensive, weird-assed to-the-penny value scheme. Then again, you have to be rich or unregistered Mexican to live in CA.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Used to be a very nice place, 30 years ago when I lived there for a few months. (729 Laurel Avenue Apt 811 iirc). Couldn't afford to stay there on my grad student stipend and with my wife on an F-2 visa (i.e. non-working), but it was nice while it lasted.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

When I lived in the BayArea, SM was filled with people soon to die. They had bought into the area early, so were starting to 'leave'. However, a great deal of 'development has taken over, mainly corporations based back east.

Did you look through Atherton? Homes were built pretty well through there.

My favorite is still Hillsboro, where you can get some small canyon views.

However, today I lean towards the 'virtual' company with employees anywhere. Internet makes it possible to be inside a 'virtual' building and work in a coordinated manner, so live where you like.

Reply to
RobertMacy