Good resources/books for programming AVRs

I'd like to be able to use uCs for different projects. I had always favored PICs (not sure why), but am leaning towards AVRs because, I'm told, they have free development software. Both, I'm sure, would be more than adequate for my projects. Does anyone have suggestions regarding a book or series of books, web sites, etc that are a starting from nothing turorial on AVRs?

Reply to
JMini

get studio 4 from atmel, and the GCC complier, I think it comes as one package now,bit of a learning curve. AVRfreaks is a good site. Several uni's have doc on line on setting up the Studio4 and GCC, sorry no bookmarks

google AVR studio 4 gcc tutorial

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

donald

Thers's plenty of free development software for PICs as well, including MPASM, C18 and C30.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

I have a LOT of reading to do.

How do you actually get the programming onto a SOIC-8 when it isn't solderinto it final destination. Or should the final board have facilities to connect the programmer?

Reply to
JMini

I would suggest the AVR datasheets from

Although it is a fairly dry reading, it is the source of facts as opposed to the misc. retellings and interpretations. Don't forget the errata sheets also.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

There is a lot of free info and trial software at Mikroelektronika

Their products are not cheap but if your time is worth anything at all they are a bargain. I use their EasyPic5 board and MikroPascal.

John Ferrell W8CCW Beware of the dopeler effect (pronounced dope-ler). That's where bad ideas seem good if they come at you fast enough.

Reply to
John Ferrell

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap

Xbee Wireless Modules, and low cost Interface Boards.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/xbee-boards.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

This looks like a great site, Don.

I started a project using an AVR (ATmega128). I was shocked when I discovered that its interrupt mechanism was such that the latency was not constant. This was a showstopper, for my project, because I needed the time between real-time interrupts to be EXACTLY the same number of clock cycles every time.

So, I moved the development over to the PIC (24F family) because its interrupt latency is constant.

Bob

--
== NOTE: I automatically delete all Google Group posts due to uncontrolled
SPAM ==

The data sheets explain how to do that. You need to design your board with the programmer in mind.

good luck

donald

Reply to
donald