Good capacitors

Vacuum?

LOL. Oh sorry, you said "you", referring to him. I'll duck out now.

Tim

Tim Williams

Radar, Tektronix, HP; research labs, among many others, would quite honestly beg to differ.

So that has to do with ...?

Ummm???? Does waveform mean anything to you? Fourier analysis perhaps?

Tim

Tim Williams

And lets not forget parametric behaviour due entirely to mechanical deformation arising from mechanical shock, thermal expansion/contraction etc.

I = dQ/dt = CdV/dt + VdC/dt

why else do good parallel-plate adjustable caps have the metals all matched for tempco? to remove one such source of nonlinearity. turns out them old-time engineers knew a thing or two.

I wonder how much 3-D mechanical FEA cap manufacturers use? what about "multiphysics" FEA, so they can bash it and watch its EM behaviour at the same time.... eg FEMLAB allows you to do this.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

Nothing that a bottle of good cap waxer for *audio* can't fix. It must say audio on the bottle. It may cost more at $147.50 per ounce, but the sound is well worth it.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

ROTFLMAO ;-)

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Even Vacuum is nonlinear if the voltage is large enough.

If you store enough energy in a capacitor, it will pass through the Swartzchild limit cause the end of the universe as we know it.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

I hope your patent for "cap waxer" has already been filed. What a seller (may I write the copy?): Cap restoration wax - bring your listening experience back to the toob days woth the *original* "CapWaxer(TM)". Ceramic capacitors will _literally_ hum along, mylar capacitors will aprove, and electrotics will simply leak with envy! "Titanium" capacitors will simply *EXPLODE* with joy over your new sound, after using the amazing Cap-Waxer(TM)! If you're one of the next 100 callers, you'll get a *FREE* grid-leak drip mop...

--
  Keith
Reply to

$10,000 per chord? I think they're getting paid about that much. Lesse,

60 beats per minute (a chord per beat?), a 90minute concert, $100/seat and 10,000 seats...

A banjo, of course!

It only sounds as good as the listener appreciates. I hear blue LEDs make 'em sound better these days,

Loud ear-buds are the thing today (sheesh). Next year the in thing is going to be *louder* ear-buds, followed by aided-ear-buds. Hey, pretty soon we're going to see iAids. ...and people don't think Steve is as sharp as Billy in the marketing department!

The *theory* is that those are used to "equalize" the room. I once ran into a very bright engineer (his name has been used here WRT RF tools) who was building a white noise generator to "calibrate" his living area. I asked him why he didn't just crank the knobs as he liked.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Golden Ear Wax, and Digital Golden Ear Wax.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

LOL!

You most certainly *can* write the copy!!!

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Well, sure, and I think I know why.. actually having concrete evidence supporting any of these theories would take most of the fun out of our flame wars, wouldn't it?

Reply to
stickyfox

So what, are you suggesting that you are a troll? You certainly haven't produced any facts!

Tim

Tim Williams

devices

Glad to help!

They might even actually have a standard value for you tube amp - one that fits exactly in the "hole". The capacitors I had made were pulse capacitors for a RADAR transmitter prototype and had to be packed in a special way to fit in the box so I decided to have them made.

They were not obscenely expensive either - a factor three, I think, which is not bad for a 25-off prototype order.

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

You are somehow entangled between half-truths, marketing phrases and guesswork, because your education in electronics is missing the overall understanding. There *are*awful sounding caps. If you use ceramic multilayer of 10u in a tiny 0805 as coupling caps in an audio stage you certainly will be able to hear some distortion, but if it is a polypropylene or polyester cap or an "Audyn"-tinfoil, you wouldn't be able to distinguish. The same is true for copper cables vs. silver etc. Exactly these myths are propagated by many phools and they give some would be technicians income who otherwise can only flip burgers at McDonalds.

--
ciao Ban
Apricale, Italy

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: [....]

This isn't true. Panasonic makes about 10 or so different kinds of capacitors and makes datasheets for about 300.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: [....]

This is untrue. All sorts of people do care about the linearity of capacitors at RF frequencies. Fortunately, at RF frequencies, high values of capacitance are less needed.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

John, it little more than just a cap, you have to consider ESR, absorption, leakage current, etc....it very complex device depending what freq to use Riscy

John Lark> >

Reply to
Riscy

Right. Audio makes no sense.

John

I wonder if the Audioph???es actually like their reproductions to sound different from a live performance? I'd have thought that the best recording/playback would be the one that's most true to the original sound. There's nothing that can compare to a champagne breakfast to the accompaniment of a chamber ensemble.

Also, sometime before I die, I want to get my hands on a harp.

Cheers! Rich

--
Elect Me President in 2008! I will:
A. Fire the IRS, and abolish the income tax

I rebember a tale of a blind test done on a group of audiophools... it was supposedly a speaker cable, sorry interconnect, test, but when they switched the cables (in view of the audience) they were just switching blank connections. The actual variable was playing from a CD vs. same with record player crackle/hiss mixed in. They preferred the one with the noise and hiss ... and apparently weren't happy to be shown up one by the researchers ;-)

Tim

Tim Williams